Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a Cat 259D Skid Steer (Track compact loader). I have…

Customer Question
Hello, I have a...

Hello, I have a Cat 259D Skid Steer (Track compact loader). I have no lift arms, bucket or any travel hydraulics. I have rebuilt the hydraulic pump, checked the flywheel to pump coupler and all is great (Looks brand new).

Mechanic's Assistant: Hi. Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

The hydraulic cooling fan runs normally but nothing else. I found the check valve melted on the return from the hydrostatic unit to tank and replaced this too. The previous owner ran it out of hydraulic oil from a blown hose to the left track and I bought it after he got frustrated from it not working afterwards?

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Equipment Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

I have pressure to the accumulator after I replaced the melted check valve, but nothing works except the cooling fan. Engine runs great. It has a solid lit yellow triangle with exclamation mark but now warning alarms or blinking?

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
8/23/2021
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 1 year ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

Hey, sorry to hear you are having these problems. I know that can be frustrating. Hopefully, we can get you back to work quickly.  I see no one could help you earlier, and I hope this is not too late to be helpful. Please note that I am not set up for phone calls, you can ignore the site pop-ups. We can post to this chat as much as you like to work through this issue. All experts are not employees, and we work from home in our spare time to answer questions.

---

If you have the advanced color display, you can retrieve the fault codes and we can research them to find the cause of the warning.

Otherwise, if you have the standard display, the icon is for the Driver Alert.

Here are the details.

Driver Alert This alert indicator will activate when there is a problem which requires operator attention.

Note: Machines equipped with EU Stage V Emission Controls will also use this alert indicator to signal system failure. Refer to this Operation and Maintenance Manual, "Diesel Particulate Filter Regeneration", "EU Stage V Emissions Control System" for applicable models and details.

Note: Other alert indicators that light or the gauges may help investigate the cause of any problems.

There are three levels of severity for the indicator:

Level 1 - If the alert indicator is on continuously, stop the machine at the earliest convenience. Check the following before consulting your Cat dealer.

Ensure that the machine has been adequately warmed up. Refer to Engine Starting for an explanation of the engine and ambient conditions that may trigger this.

If the Engine Condition alert indicator is AMBER, water may be present in the fuel. Drain the water from the fuel/water separator. For more information refer to "Operation Maintenance Manual" , Fuel System Primary Filter (Water Separator) - Drain.

If the Engine Condition alert indicator is AMBER, the engine air filter may be restricted. For more information refer to "Operation Maintenance Manual" , Engine Air Filter Primary Element - Clean/Replace.

If the Hydraulics alert indicator is AMBER, the filter is bypassing. Check that the hydraulic oil filter is not plugged. For more information refer to "Operation Maintenance Manual" , Hydraulic System Oil Filter - Replace. See also Oil Filter - Inspect.

Check for proper battery voltage and ensure that the alternator and wiring are good.

Level 2 - If the alert indicator is flashing and there is no audible alarm, severe component damage could occur. Stop the machine at the earliest convenience and check the following before consulting your Cat dealer.

If the Engine Condition alert indicator is RED and the maximum engine speed is reduced, water may be present in the fuel. Drain the water from the fuel/water separator. For more information refer to "Operation Maintenance Manual" , Fuel System Primary Filter (Water Separator) – Drain

If the Engine Condition alert indicator is RED and the maximum engine speed is reduced, the engine air filter may be restricted. For more information refer to "Operation Maintenance Manual" , Engine Air Filter Primary Element - Clean/Replace.

If the machine is equipped with a Diesel Particulate Filter, move the machine to a safe location and set the parking brake. If the engine RPM begins to rise shortly, allow the machine to complete a regeneration cycle. For more information refer to "Operation Maintenance Manual" , Diesel Particulate Filter Regeneration.

If the SCR Warning alert indicator is flashing RED, check the Diesel Exhaust Fluid Level. See Diesel Exhaust Fluid - Fill. Refer to Selective Catalytic Reduction Warning System for an explanation of the various SCR warning levels.

A sensor on the machine may be faulted or has come unplugged. For tracked machines, check that the wiring to the drive motor speed sensor wiring is not damaged. Consult your Cat dealer for advanced troubleshooting support.

Cab alarm is missing, unplugged, or as failed

Level 3 - If the alert indicator is flashing and there is an audible alarm, injury to the operator or severe component damage could occur. Stop the machine immediately and check the following before consulting your Cat dealer:

Check the engine oil. See Operation Maintenance manual , Engine Oil level - Check . If the Engine Condition alert indicator is RED, the engine oil filter may be plugged. See Engine Oil and Filter - Change. See also Oil Filter - Inspect.

If the Engine Condition alert indicator is RED, the engine coolant temperature may be high. Clean the engine radiator, reduce the engine load, and allow the engine to cool. For more information refer to Operation Maintenance Manual , Radiator Core - Clean.

If the Hydraulics alert indicator is RED, the hydraulic oil temperature is high. Check the hydraulic oil level. Refer to Operation Maintenance Manual , Hydraulic System Oil Level - Check. Clean the hydraulic oil cooler, reduce the hydraulic load, and allow the system to cool. See Radiator Core - Clean.

A sensor on the machine may be faulted or has come unplugged. For tracked machines, check that the wiring to the drive motor speed sensors is not damaged. Consult your Cat dealer for advanced troubleshooting support.

None of these should cause the machine to not work.

You may need to contact a dealer to retrieve the codes or find someone with a CAT ET service program.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have a Texa Diesel Laptops computer system and there aren't any codes. I'm not around the machine right now but will be back in the morning.I will reconnect the computer diagnostics computer again and see if it will pull up any codes.This is an older machine (2000-2002). It doesn't have a DPF/DEF system

I can only guess about the warnings without a serial number. I just guessed at to the machine I usually work on.

If you have CAT ET, download a product status report and upload it here then I can review the complete data file and won't need to ask too many questions.

Thanks, Don

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Here's the serial number on the machineI'll pull the diagnostics in the morning when I get back down to it and post everything to you. Thanks and have a good night

Ok. I will be back online in the evening. I will OPT-OUT if you wish for someone to work with you in the morning.

Drivers alert info is the same. I used an FTK prefix and your is FTL.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Your doing fine... If we get to where you feel you can't help, just let me know and we'll try someone else, but evenings are okay for me. I'm PST

Ok, thanks. I will be looking for your postings tomorrow.

Thanks, Don

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you Don and I will post it here and when you get a chance to go over it, just send your recommendations here and I'll respond. No worries about being to late or early, I'll respond as soon as I can too. Have a good night and God bless...

Thanks!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry for nothing getting post today, I wasn't able to get to it today, but will have you some posted information tomorrow.
Have a good night

Ok, thanks for the update. keep me posted so the question will stay open.

Thanks again. Don

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will, thank you too. Tom

You're welcome!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello Don. Yeah no codes on the machine.The only thing I do have isn't on the diagnostics computer, but on the machine that solid lit yellow triangle with the exclamation mark and no warning alarm.It has me stumped

Does the light go off after a short time? If so, it is just the cold mode warning and the machine needs time to warm up. Should only take a couple of minutes unless it is really cold.

It could be one of the items mentioned in the manual but the sensor is reading wrong.

I have seen many of the water in fuel sensors fail. Same with the air filter switch. Some will plug up and stick open.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No, stays on with no working functions of boom, bucket or tram.the outside temperature here has been 95+Just the hydraulic cooling fan works.

I would try a new water in fuel sensor. Some may not trigger a code when unplugged and if your is that way, just leave it out.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I checked the engine coupler and it's good, rebuilt the hydraulic pump, cleaned out the hydraulic tank and system tooThey ran it out of oil and it melted the check-valve from the hydrostatic transmission to the tank. I replaced it and started getting hydraulic pressure to the accumulator but still no functionsOkayI'll get a new one and change it out

Oh sorry, I had another question in mind. I forgot the work tool does not function.

Can you see the status of the switches? Door, seat, armrest any input from the rocker switch?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay, so when I start the machine, I put the arm rest down and release the brake/safety switch and it all works correctly.If I raise the arm rest, it sets the parking brake. If I raise up off the seat it will also set the parking brake.
If I try to start the machine with the arm rest down, it will not start until the arm rest is up then it will start.Works normal as its supposed toI don't mean after I start the machine and then put down the arm rest and release the parking brake that the machines hydraulics work because they don't, I meant the parking brake and the arm rests, seat safety switches work normally

Ok, got it.

What about the door switch? Do you see any indicators when the door is opened?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'll check that water/fuel sensor (I'll put a new one in it)...It doesn't have an operator's doorMaybe the engine door has a switch

No, only the cab door.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yeah is what I thought too

I don't remember if it will show on the status screen but, some machines it turns on the hydraulic indicator.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yeah, I wish I could find out what all the row of numbered buttons under the display screen does. I didn't know if maybe there was a lock out code it went into for some reason.It's not like the newer machines with the full digital screen and fewer buttons.

They are only for the Anti-theft security system. As far as I have been able to find, they have no diagnostic function.

When it is active, the engine does not crank until the correct pass code is entered.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is there a good site for manuals that don't cost an arm and a leg forRight, rightIs what I found too. And they never needed any passwords before to run it. They blew a track motor hose and ran it out of hydraulic oil and after that, it does thisI wasn't getting any pressures until I changed the bad check valve (it was just cavitating).
However, the cooling fan still ran, but It works in a different pump section.I built the pump anyway. But after I changed the check valve, I started getting good hydraulic pressure to the accumulator.Could it be one of the 2 solenoids in the accelerator?I suppose one solenoid tells the ECM that it has pressure for one side and the other tells or communicates to the ECM for the other sideThey're each just a 2 wire solenoid and connector.Hot/ground

No.

Cheap is unreliable. Hit and miss to get the right manual.

SIS access is very expensive unless you have a large shop with many technicians. I don't know of any other options.

If a solenid has failed, it should trigger a code.

If you are not sure, try unplugging it to see if you get a code and then we may have something to check.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yeah, is what I thought. Didn't think to try and trigger codes, but will do that tomorrow when I get back down there.Going to also replace the fuel/water sensor.I'll let you know what I find or get it to give in return for any codes....Thanks Don. Helps having another head to bounce back n fourth with...
Have a great evening and talk with you tomorrow evening buddy

You're welcome! Glad I could help!

It is odd that both the implement and the travel are not working.

I would check the charge pressure and the implement pressure to see if any is present. Maybe this is a mechanical hydraulic problem and not electrical.

You must have some pressure since the fan is turning. Maybe a solenid is crossed but, I can't see how that would not show up in some form.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I agree.The only thing I am certain of is the previous owner ran it out of hydraulic oil from a blown tram motor hose. It got hot enough that the check valve insides melted. The pump just cavitated until I replaced the check valve with a new one. I rebuilt the hydraulic pump and replaced all the filters. And nothing changed even after this. I also checked the engine drive coupler and shaft splines and all good there too.whatever it is hasn't been effected from all I have done.Checked all the fuses, connectors, relays and all good.The computer says the ECM is recognized and give back readings of good for everythingI also think it's a solenoid somewhere stuckBut not sure

Then here is what you will need to test the hydrostatic systems.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1abK__g1Z0AUogOOuuBD7a0mfrUYtoUCU/view?usp=sharing

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will test it on Tuesday. Thank you and have a great weekend Don

You'e welcome!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Good morning Don. I just wanted to tell you that I haven't had a chance to get back on that Skid Steer. Been busy with everything else, but hope to do all those tests this week. I'll keep you posted.Again, thank you and have a great weekend

OK