Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have th360b, when i turn the key it used to make a loud…

Customer Question
I have th360b, when i...
I have th360b, when i turn the key it used to make a loud beep then start up without issue. Now the hour meter doesn’t show anything and the only item on the entire cluster that works is the exclamation point that flashes.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/23/2021
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 1 year ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

Hey, sorry to hear you are having these problems. I know that can be frustrating. Hopefully, we can get you back to work quickly.  I see no one could help you earlier, and I hope this is not too late to be helpful. Please note that I am not set up for phone calls, you can ignore the site pop-ups. We can post to this chat as much as you like to work through this issue. All experts are not employees, and we work from home in our spare time to answer questions.

---

This could be a data link issue with the wiring between the machine ECM and the monitor.

This monitor is a display for the machine ECM outputs. Since it is only showing the exclamation point, you cannot retrieve the fault codes for any other testing.

You can inspect the harness and check for power to the ECM and the grounds but, that is about all you can do. You will need someone with CAT ET service program to connect to the machine and see if the ECM is still communicating. If it is, then you can follow the fault code troubleshooting to find the root cause. If it is not, the ECM may not be powered or it has failed.

If it has failed, the dealer will be needed to program a new ECM to match the machine parameters so it will function correctly.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will check. Do you know the ecm location for the th360b. I'll look online too. Thank you

It is just forward of the engine under a cover. The wiring harness is known to rub the frame by the ECM and under the machine where it turns up to the ECM and the cab area.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Copy that. I did notice coolant is low and I had a damaged hydraulic line before I parked last time. Could either of those being low cause this issue? Guessing not.

No. CAT does not install shutdown systems. They leave that to the operator to decide where a safe place to stop the machine would be over just stopping it anywhere.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Copy. That's what I figured. Will report back my findings. Thank you

You're welcome! Glad to help!

---

Thank you for using JustAnswer, if you do need further help, please let me know.
If you are satisfied with my service, please take a moment to provide a rating.
Thanks again, Don
CATMASTERTECH

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I hope to be back at my farm on Thursday.

Ok, thank you for the update. Keep me posted so the question will stay open.

Thanks, Don

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Finally at the farm. Started taking. The dash apart and noticed this. Does this plug into the ecu?

No, that is where the radio would be installed. I assume it is the radio plug.

The machine ECM is under the hood behind the right front wheel. It has a cover over the ECM and a large bundle of wires come out the bottom of the cover.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Aha. Okay I'll be back in the am. Thank you

You're welcome!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
All seems to be okay
8ab4d016-25ec-4a4e-ae7e...jpeg8ab4d0...jpegbd435f20-238f-4c86-a835...jpegbd435f...jpegcfeacf05-7006-4968-877d...jpegcfeacf...jpeg14d9eca5-a460-40ba-95ff...jpeg14d9ec...jpeg5ee2ce9c-65be-43be-93c7...jpeg5ee2ce...jpeg
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Machine only has 2000 hours on it

You should open the connectors and check for pins that have been pulled out or corroded.

It appears to have a stick next to the harness in one picture and the tie strap is also broken.

Is it possible the harness has been pulled loose? Can you see the wires to the shifter?

Is the dash still not functioning at all?

I marked the image below to show the rub areas. Some you already have wear. Any chance the insulation can break and moisture can enter, the wire can have a short.

Are you sure all the fuses are good?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'll check fuses. I'll check for corroded connectors as well. I won't be back there until this weekend. Thank you

Ok, thanks.

Glad I could help.

---

Thanks again, Don
CATMASTERTECH