Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I need a case drain for a cat 312 excavator(not a or C

Customer Question
I need a case...

I need a case drain for a cat 312 excavator(not a B or C model. A straight 312). Can I plumb it into the return just before the filter, or do i need to install a connection in the reservoir. Also do i need a filter

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

312 6gk00795

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
8/18/2021
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 1 year ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Best to plumb it in before the return filter, then the filter will collect any debris from the drive.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I was told the return line can build small amounts of pressure which could be too high for a case drain. Any truth in that?I was told the return line can build small amounts of pressure which can be to high for a case drain. Is that true?

No, it will not.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How many psi is tolerable in a case drain line?

Anything over 10 psi would be excessive.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If I would decide to plumb the case drain directly into the reservoir, then I would probably want to install a filter in the line as well. Is that correct? In your opinion, what are the pros and cons to this approach.

I would add a filter if going direct.  No cons, only pro, as it will catch any debris, and give you an idea as to what is coming out of the pump/motor/case.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your help

Thank you.