Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a Deere 410B that I just purchased. It has no

Customer Question
I have a John...

I have a John Deere 410B that I just purchased. It has no reverse. I took the floor boards up so I can see the driveshaft coming out of the reverser. If I put it in forward the shaft will rotate and the wheels will move forward. If I put the reverser in neutral it will still move forward but not with as much power. Now if I put the transmission in neutral the driveshaft will rotate in the forward rotation in both neutral and forward on the reverser control. When I put it into reverse the shaft stops moving right away like you put on brakes on it. I have checked all the linkage to the spool control valve for the reverser. I have pulled off the the valve assembly and checked the gasket to make sure its not torn and cross porting. All of this is good. I suspect my problem is in my reverser but want to ask if there is something I am overlooking that might be easier before I pull it. I have not done any pressure tests yet. What ever my problem is it seems like its cross porting.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

TO410BA721610

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Construction Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

No....I dont think so

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
8/12/2021
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 1 year ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Your forward clutch has failed, and it is not disengagin, thats why you have forward in neutral, and when you go to reverse, forward and reverse are both trying to go,. Youwill need to rebuild the forward clutch pack.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I was right.....its in the reverser. Thank you for the confirmation

Yes, the reverser should be rebuilt, but the problem with it is the forward clutch, not the reverse.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
According to what I see in my manual it looks like I can do the forward clutch pack without removing the whole reverser. Is that correct or would it be better to rebuild the whole thing?

That would be your choice, I would do the whole thing, since you are going to be that far in. If seals are bad in forward, they could be close to failing on reverse.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
You are right. The difference is, though, that to do the forward only you are not removing the whole reverser. I have already decided to pull the whole thing. Thanks for your help.

Thank you, ***** ***** with it.