Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a 320 e excavator I have a 3547-3 code voltage above…

Hey buddy I have a...
Hey buddy I have a 320 e excavator I have a 3547-3 code voltage above normal do U have the wiring schematic for this circuit it the fuel water sensor circuit which wires I jump and hat wires go ecm here pic of serial number
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/10/2021
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 12 months ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

Let me see what I can find.

Ok ye just need see which wire to jump to check make sure harness is good if not need shematic to chase back to ecm

I will look but most sensors, the C pi is the signal and B is the return (ground) with A as the power.

Let me know so which ones should I jump

Jump C to B and check the code to see if voltage is below normal.

It goes to the engine ECM J1 at pin 56 Blue wire marked G976

It also goes to the switch panel for the warning light.

Ok I will check that

I found this testing guide, it might help.

Water-in-Fuel Sensor Operation

The WIF sensor is a normally open sensor. During normal operation, there will be no signal sent from the WIF sensor to the ECM. If water is detected in the fuel, the sensor will send a signal to the ECM. If the signal remains constant for 45 seconds, a 97-15 (E232-1) diagnostic code will become active. If the signal remains constant for 1 hour, a 97-16 (E232-2) diagnostic code will become active. These diagnostic codes can also be caused by a short in the WIF sensor circuit.

Water-in-Fuel Sensor Self Check

When the ignition keyswitch is turned to the ON position, the switch in the WIF sensor will close for 5 seconds. If the ECM does not detect a signal from the WIF sensor during this period, a 97–3 (3547-3) diagnostic code will become active.

Table 2

Troubleshooting Test Steps Values Results

1. Inspect Electrical Connectors and Wiring
A. Turn the keyswitch to the OFF position.
B. Thoroughly inspect the connector for the WIF sensor and the P1/J1 ECM connector. Refer to Troubleshooting, "Electrical Connectors - Inspect".
C. Perform a 45 N (10 lb) pull test on each of the wires that are associated with the WIF sensor.
D. Check the screw for the ECM connector for the correct torque of 6 N·m (53 lb in).
E. Check the harness for abrasions, for pinch points, and for corrosion.
Loose connection or damaged wire
Result: There is a fault in a connector or the wiring.
Repair: Repair any faulty connectors or replace the wiring harness. Ensure that all the seals are properly in place and ensure that the connectors are correctly coupled.
Use the electronic service tool to clear all logged diagnostic codes and verify that the repair eliminates the fault.
Result: All connectors, pins, and sockets are correctly coupled and/or inserted. The harness is free of corrosion, abrasion, and pinch points.
Proceed to Test Step 2.

2. Check For Active Diagnostic Codes
B. Connect the electronic service tool to the diagnostic connector.
C. Turn the keyswitch to the ON position. If the engine will start, then run the engine.
D. Wait for at least 1 minute.
E. Monitor the active diagnostic code screen on the electronic service tool. Check and record any active diagnostic codes.
Diagnostic codes
Result: There are no active diagnostic codes for the WIF sensor.
There may be an intermittent fault.
Repair: Refer to Troubleshooting, "Electrical Connectors - Inspect" to identify intermittent faults.
Result: A 97-15 (E232 (1)) or 97-16 (E232 (2)) diagnostic code is active.
Refer to Troubleshooting, "Fuel Contains Water" before continuing with this procedure.
Proceed to Test Step 3.
Result: A 97-3 (3547-3) diagnostic code is active.
Proceed to Test Step 3.

3. Check the Supply Voltage at the Sensor Connector
Note: Refer to the Electrical Schematic for the application to determine the sensor supply voltage.
B. Disconnect the WIF sensor connector.
C. Turn the keyswitch to the ON position.
D. Measure the voltage between the sensor supply and sensor return terminals on the harness connector for the WIF sensor.
E. Turn the keyswitch to the OFF position.
Between 11 VDC and 13 VDC for a 12 VDC system.
Between 22 VDC and 26 VDC for a 24 VDC system.
Between 7.5 VDC and 8.5 VDC for an 8 VDC supply
Result: The voltage is not within the expected range. The fault is in the sensor supply wire or the return wire .
Repair: Repair the faulty sensor connector or replace the faulty harness.
Result: The voltage is within the expected range.
Reconnect the WIF sensor to the harness. Proceed to Test Step 4.

4. Check that the Diagnostic Code is Still Active
C. Turn the keyswitch to the ON position. Wait for at least 1 minute.
D. Monitor the active diagnostic code screen on the electronic service tool. Check and record any active diagnostic codes.
Diagnostic code
Proceed to Test Step 5.
Result: A 97-15 (E232 (1)) diagnostic code is active.
Proceed to Test Step 7.
Result: No diagnostic code is active.
Return the unit to service.

5. Create a Short Circuit at the Sensor Connector
A.Turn the keyswitch to the OFF position.
B. Disconnect the WIF sensor from the harness.
C. Fabricate a jumper wire that is 150 mm (6 inch) long.
D. Use the jumper to connect the sensor signal terminal to the sensor return terminal on the harness connector for the WIF sensor.
E. Turn the keyswitch to the ON position. Wait for at least 1 minute.
F. Monitor the active diagnostic code screen on the electronic service tool. Check and record any active diagnostic codes.
Open circuit
Result: A 97-3 (3547-3) diagnostic code was active before installing the jumper. A 97-15 (E232 (1)) code was active with the jumper installed. There is an open circuit in the WIF sensor.
Repair: Install a replacement sensor. Refer to Disassembly and Assembly, "Water Separator and Fuel Filter (Primary) - Remove and Install" for the correct procedure.
Result: There is still an active 97-3 (3547-3) diagnostic code with the jumper installed. The sensor is OK.
Proceed to Test Step 6.

6. Check the Harness for an Open Circuit
B. Disconnect the connector for the water-in-fuel sensor and P1 connector.
C. Use a multimeter to check the resistance of the sensor signal wiring between the sensor connector and the P1 connector.
Note: Refer to the Electrical Schematic for the application for the correct terminals.
D. Install the removed connectors.
Less than 2 Ohms.
Result: The measured resistances are greater than 2 Ohms. There is an open circuit in the harness.
Repair: Repair the sensor connector or replace the harness.
Result: The measured resistance is less than 2 Ohms. There may be a short circuit in the harness.
Proceed to Test Step 7.

7. Create an Open Circuit at the Sensor Connector
Short circuit
Result: A 97-15 (E232 (1)) diagnostic code is active with the WIF sensor connected. A 97-3 (3547-3) diagnostic code was active after disconnecting the WIF sensor. There is a short in the WIF sensor.
Install a replacement sensor. Refer to Disassembly and Assembly, "Water Separator and Fuel Filter (Primary) - Remove and Install" for the correct procedure.
Result: The 97-15 (E232(1)) diagnostic code is still active with the WIF sensor disconnected. The WIF sensor is OK.
Proceed to Test Step 8.

8. Check the Harness for a Short Circuit
B. Disconnect the WIF sensor from the harness. Disconnect the P1 connector.
C. Use a multimeter to measure the resistance between the WIF sensor signal terminal on the P1 connector and all other terminals on P1.
D. Reconnect the WIF sensor to the harness. Reconnect the P1 connector.
Greater than 100 Ohms
Result: The measured resistances are less than 100 Ohms. There is a short in the harness.
Result: The measured resistance is greater than 100 Ohms. There is a fault in the ECM.
Contact the Dealer Solutions Network (DSN).

Can u send me the wiring diagram there two other wires
I have community to the pin 56

I am sorry, the file is too big and I am not allowed to share copyrighted documents per site policy.

Does it change to a -4 code (voltage below normal) when the signal shorted to the ground (2) pin? If not, when reading the power and ground do you have the correct voltage? (1-to-2 pin)

No

Sorry for the late reply, had to run and errand.

I would remove the wire from the ECM and ground the return wire directly at the ECM, that should force the ECM to see a below normal voltage. If it does not, the ECM may be the fault.

The 147 purple (+battery key on fuse) is fuse #35 in the panel. It should send battery voltage to the sensor.