Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a d4h. I need to get to the transmission filter. Are…

I have a d4h...

I have a d4h. I need to get to the transmission filter. Are they under the floor panel?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

45v67070*1n3606 engine s204di

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am making sure that I have to take off the floor cover to get to the transmission filters.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Construction Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

I am trying to fix myself.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What now?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I haven't heard anything back?
8/2/2021
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 1 year ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

Hey, sorry to hear you are having these problems. I know that can be frustrating. Hopefully, we can get you back to work quickly.  I see no one could help you earlier, and I hope this is not too late to be helpful. Please note that I am not set up for phone calls, you can ignore the site pop-ups. We can post to this chat as much as you like to work through this issue. All experts are not employees, and we work from home in our spare time to answer questions.

---

Yes, the filer is under the floor plate. The cover has six bolts and the filter part number is *****

Did you need anything else?

D4H Track-Type Tractor

Machine Serial Number - 8PB02007

Machine Build Date - 1987/09/09

45V67070 is the engine serial number.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
When you put the machine in gear it takes a little while for it to decide to move.

This is either due to worn out torque converter seals or the more common worn-out transmission control valves.

The converter can be rebuilt but the transmission control valve will likely need replacing. It only has mounting seals and the problem is in the spool bores. New spools won't fix it, it tends to be the bore is worn.

This has been an issue for all D4H tractors for a long time.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That sounds like a big job. It is strong when it goes in gear. I don't think it is the converter. Would that consist pulling the transmission? What would need to be done to change the valves?

The transmission is pulled out the back but, the valve is on top and can be removed through the rear cover.

The valve is in sections and the spool and modulating section is where the most wear is found. Finding a mechaincal valve these days is almost impossible.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That just sounds great.

These are very old and I have had many people ask the same question. Finding a valve has always been an issue. The D5H had a little of this issue but, it was mostly the D4H that seem to be affect the most.

They all work the same but, this transmission is much smaller and the valve just never lasted.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I bet cat would want an arm and a leg for it. I guess the hardest part is pulling the transmission? Can we pull off the cabin and get to it?We would have to pull off the fuel tank and all?

No, it only is pulled out the back but the valve will come out the rear cover.

Yes, it was very expensive when they were available at CAT. The last one I heard purchased was back in the mid 90's and was nearly $4000 back then. It fixed the problem and the customer kept the machine for another 10 years. They worked at the beach and avoided electronic machines as much as they could. This unit eventually slid off a dock and was then a total loss.  The operator was pushing sand off the end and misjudged a turn and she went over quick.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That does sound pretty expensive. I guess I need to start looking for one.

I have seen a lot of people try to patch these but, they are never completely satisfied. You may find a cleaning will help as it has a few small orifices that do get plugged. It is worth trying to clean it once but, if it is worn and the problem returns, a new valve will be needed.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
You still have to pull the transmission though right?

No, the valve is removed through the rear cover.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I just need it to work just for a few weeks. Then I want to sell it.The big round part with 50 bolts?Do you have a diagram on that?

No, the rear cover at the upper part of the transmission. If you have a rear guard, it is behind the guard.

Do you have a serial number?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have a transmission number. I will have to get it tomorrow.Or the number for the dozer?

The machine serial number (PIN) The transmission serial number may work but, this is likely too old

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What you have in the beginning doesn't work?

OOOPS!!! I forgot. I have sent too many replies and didn't see that

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Where are you located? I am in Alabama.

Is this a powershift or a direct drive?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am not sure? I would think power drive.

Do you have two pedals or three?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
2, brake and deceleration
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That looks like it.I will send some pics tomorrow. Thanks for your help.

You're welcome! Glad I could help.

---

Thank you for using JustAnswer, if you do need further help, please let me know.
If you are satisfied with my service, please take a moment to provide a rating.
Thanks again, Don
CATMASTERTECH

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hope I can get in touch with you sooner tomorrow.

Sorry, I only work at nights.

All experts are not employees, and we work from home in our spare time to answer questions.

I am in the US Eastern time zone

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
You are an hour ahead of me then. I did live in GA. Thanks again.

You're welcome!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What all would I need to take off here to get to the valves?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, do I have to remove any linkage up top off the controls?Is there a kit for rebuild or anything?

No sorry. No kits are available for these old valves.

The linkage is inside the transmission. Some were bolted to the spools and other fit into slots.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Do you have a diagram what things look like inside? What to check? Maybe what not to do.

This is so old, not much is still around. Here is a parts page.

it needs to be cleaned of all debris and lightly polished if scars are found. If bore is damaged, valve needs replacing.

By the way, here is the letter about the spool problem. It may relate to your trouble.

New Differential Spool Prevents Shift Hesitation In Power Shift Transmissions{3152,3167} (SEBD1850)

SMCS - 3152,3167

All Models (See Chart in Article) Using 7G9563 Differential Spool

Description of Change: The 7G9563 Differential Spool is used in the selector and pressure control valve group in power shift transmissions of the listed models. Depending on the model, one of two different changes have been made to this spool to prevent shift hesitation when the direction is changed.

... On the larger models, a new 6Y2279 Differential Spool, not serviced under this number, is used. These models have clutches with a diameter of 432 mm (17") or more. This differential spool has four, instead of two, throttling slots at location J-J in the illustration.

... On the smaller models with clutches up to and including a diameter of 345 mm (13.6"), the two throttling slots in the spool have been made deeper and the depth of the slots is held to a closer tolerance. This spool retains the same "7G9563" part number, but is no longer serviced under this number.

Adaptable To: Each new differential spool is adaptable to the earlier models as listed. Use the applicable new spool assembly, which includes the new spool, and its two springs, snap ring, and retainer.

NOTE: Use the new spool assemblies to replace only the former 7G9563 Spool. Some early 432 and 533 mm (17 and 21") transmissions do not use the 7G9563 Spool, and therefore the 6Y2280 Spool Assembly should not be installed in these transmissions either.

The early 7G9563 Spool can be reused in the listed smaller models only if the flat-to-flat dimension over the two P2 metering slots is 23.62 mm (.930") or LESS. See illustration. If this dimension is more than 23.62 mm (.930"), make the slots deeper, or use the new spool assembly. To make the slots deeper, remove an equal amount of metal from the bottom of each slot. See View J-J for cutter or grind wheel diameter.

Making the two throttling slots deeper in an early 7G9563 Differential Spool.

NOTE: You must be aware that there are many other causes for shift hesitation. Be sure to check for easier solutions such as system flow, pressure settings, and linkage adjustments before concluding that a differential spool change is needed.

This is item 18 in the parts image.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That sounds like what is happening.

Yes, this was one repair but, often the damage was in the valve bore. It may help and could be worth a try.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will have to try this first. If it has heavy damage will they be scaring in the bore?

Yes but, sometimes it may only look like a dull finish instead of the normal polish. That would indicate dirty oil bypassing.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, I will let you know what I find out.

Ok, thanks.

---

Thanks again, Don
CATMASTERTECH

catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician