Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I recently bought a 416 cat backhoe. It isand the guy i

Hi, and good afternoon...

Hi, and good afternoon. I recently bought a 416 cat backhoe. It is*****and the guy i bought it from said it is a 1980 model. I have tried to find a manual for it but no luck. I checked the hydraulic fluid or what i thought. It looked like milk. So i drained it to try to get the contaiminants out. Only about a gallon came out. So i cranked the machine to move it to another location with an incline to see if if it would drain anymore. But when i pull the shift lever or push it up it will not move. Did i drain the wrong fluid out, if so where do you check the transmission fluid and the hydraulic fluid or are they the same.

Mechanic's Assistant: Hi. Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Equipment Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

Ok thanks

8/1/2021
Mechanic: Wayne, Journeyman replied 1 year ago
Wayne, Journeyman

Hi, I'm Wayne.

I'll be assisting you with this issue today.

Thank you for coming to Just Answer

Your Question is as important to us as it is to you.

I am sorry to hear you are having this issue.

I go offline at 3 pm CST. M-F

Weekend 2 pm CST for the day.

Click the link below for the manual.

I hope this helps you.

https://diyrepairmanuals.com/product/operation-and-maintenance-manual-for-caterpillar-backhoe-loader-model-416-backhoe-loader/?gclid=CjwKCAjwjJmIBhA4EiwAQdCbxmm2uyn-dk8tRQlYO5SvWiRc3OjfVd03AvJQlYzI2LTG9odm-VhruhoCyCkQAvD_BwE

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi wayne, how do i tell what year it was made. the serial number is *****

Thank you for the response.

Let me see if I can get that for you.

I just found a download for $40.00 ser# ***** 5pc.

https://www.aservicemanualpdf.com/downloads/caterpillar-cat-416-backhoe-loader-prefix-5pc-service-repair-manual-5pc00001-06191/

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i already downloaded that but i think it is useless, as it just is not informative at all, it just shows tecnical data in general and how to weld and picking the right electrode. I need something to show me where to check the fluids and all the different things.

OK, it appears your unit is 1988.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok thanks Wayne. Also the shuttle lever to the left of the steering wheel, i thought if you pushed the lever up away form you it would go forward and pull it back to go in reverse. But its just the opposite
Wayne, Journeyman
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
thanks Wayne for all your help,gota run

You are very welcome

Stay safe and healthy!!!!!!

Offline until AM