Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a dresser td7g dozer. The machine was pushing dirt…

Customer Question
Hello, I have a...

Hello, I have a dresser td7g dozer. The machine was pushing dirt when the previous owner heard a bang and the dozer would not move anymore. I now bought the machine and I'm trying to fix it. The dozer runs and the blade moves as it should, it just wont move forward or backward. The driveshaft coming out of the back of the torque converter only turns very slowly but you can grab it and stop the rotation. Where should I start? Jason

Mechanic's Assistant: Hi. Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Construction Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

Could this just be a fluid level problem?

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Answered in 2 days by:
8/2/2021
Mechanic: RyanY78,
 replied 1 year ago
RyanY78

Hi there! Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I'd like to try and help. Sorry to hear you are having issues but with my help I am hoping we can figure out a solution to your problem. I understand how frustrating it is. With 8 years of experience in the Marine Corps as a heavy equipment mechanic and 12 years in the private sector working for Case/New Holland and most recently, a John Deere dealership specializing in Vermeer, I am confident we can get your issue resolved!
That noise and the fact that you can stop the driveshaft from spinning is an indication that a shaft of some sort snapped. It will need to be disassembled to locate the exact cause. But at least it is not a gear or bearing issues as those commonly cause complete damage of the transmission when they break. Sorry I dont have better news.
*Please note that an automatically generated offer to pay for premium service will appear during this chat, I have no control over these, thanks for your understanding*

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, upon further hearing investigation, I have more info. When I bring up the rpm above idle, the driveshaft spins strongly. When I put the machine in gear, it doesn’t stop spinning. Also, for some strange reason, the large filter on the left of the driver is over pressurizing and has actually warped the filter housing. When the rpm is up, hydraulic fluid sprays out of the filter housing about 20 feet. Obviously, fluid is going in but can’t get out. The filter itself is brand new. What would cause a blockage downstream to cause this? I’m thinking there may be a blockage somewhere that isn’t allowing fluid to get to the torque converter or drive motor??
Mechanic: RyanY78,
 replied 1 year ago

I think that issue is secondary to having a broke input or output shaft. It's hard to say for sure. If I was out on a service call on this machine I would have had it hauled in at this point if it is that serious.

Kind regards,

Ryan