Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

My skid loader is a L190 nh. Mine seems different in that…

Customer Question
My skid loader is...

My skid loader is a L190 nh. Mine seems different in that when I first star it up it moves but locks up shortly later. I can get it to move again by pushing the brake and or set belt in and ou

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Construction Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

T then it goes and stops. Then it will just stop. Start it up again and go through the same process.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
6/23/2021
Mechanic: RichardH416, Technician replied 1 year ago
RichardH416
RichardH416, Technician

Hi and welcome to Just Answer.  Ill assist you with your skidsteer.

I would say you have a poor connection in the seat switch or a switch getting  worn. If you can safely do so, hook a voltmeter up to the seat switch wiring and set to continuity. Run the unit, when it locks up, see if the seat switch opened.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I replaced the seat switch

Check the connector where it plugs together for a pin backed out. Also check the rest of the harness for the seat switch. Make sure there are no tools or debris under the seat to keep it from compressing when you are sitting in the seat.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I cleaned and did all that when I put the new one on.When it stops moving none of the light come on. Break light or the seat belt. I have to push the break light and I have to undo the seat belt before they come on.
Can too mich hydraulic oil cause this problem. I over filled it

If all that is good, I would pull the park brake switch out and make sure the plug and wiring is clean and in good shape. If yours has the 4 push buttons on the pad, check the connector to the pad. They sometimes get moisture and corrosion in them. I always check the fuses and relays for any corrosion or moisture as well.

If the hydraulic overfill is the problem, it should light up a hydraulic pressure light. There are 2 sensors that monitor pressure and temp.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Both are good
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
All fuses are good. Pulled the harness off of the parking brake pad. Can't get to the pad but all connectors are clean. Button on parking break makes clicking noise
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Anything else ?

I would look for an intermittent power loss or loss of ground, loose wire somewhere.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Got it running. Not sure what I did I think it's the button on the panel that puts the break on. Thanks for your help.

You are very welcome sir. I'm glad you are up and running. Thank you for using Just Answer.  Feel free to come back any time. Have a great night!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It work one day now is doing the same thing.

I still think it's a intermittent power or ground loss. Possibly a faulty switch?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Does a faulty seatbelt switch cause it to lock up

Yes sir, it absolutely will.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
can it be in the switch panel. That looks like it’s the whole panel to replace.

It could be. Those are usually a solid state system and not serviceable. If you are careful, you could remove the switch panel and inspect it for damage. The seat switch that you asked about could be the issue as well.