Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I parked my TH460B telehandler last nite went back to work…

I parked my TH460B...

I parked my TH460B telehandler last nite went back to work this morning key would not engage starter so i put a jumper to solenoid and started it but transmission will noy function forward or reverse

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

CATTH460VSLF02522

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Checked fuses pin conectoors

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Construction Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

My thoughts are it is a neutral safety switch but just a guess

6/12/2021
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 1 year ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

Please note that I am not set up for phone calls, you can ignore the site pop-ups. We can post to this chat as much as you like to work through this issue. All experts are not employees, and we work from home in our spare time to answer questions.
---

This is often due to a failed shift control (forward and reverse) or lost power to it or the machine ECM.

You will need to retrieve the fault codes from the display to help narrow down the issue.

Diagnostic codes can be displayed on the instrument panel. The codes can be viewed when the panel is in the service mode. To enter the service mode, begin with the key switch in the OFF position. Cycle the key switch three times within ten seconds. Then, leave the key in the ON position. The displays are used to show active diagnostic codes and logged diagnostic codes. The MID is shown on the left display. The CID and the FMI are shown on the right display. When a diagnostic code is active, the letter "A" is shown in the left display. When a diagnostic code is inactive, only the code is shown. Each code is shown for several seconds. Then, the display will show the next code. After all the codes are shown, "---" will appear. The display will then cycle through all the codes again. To exit the service mode, turn the key to the OFF position for five seconds.

It will take a few attempts with this before you will get the timing just right but, it will work.

Record all the codes in the order they scroll past and note each that begin with the letter A.

Record the complete code shown in both windows.

See below for example.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
A039 and 036 on left 9603-04 9603-05 2282-05 0342-02 1684-07 1741-05 1127-02 1823-04 1193-04 1193-05 2241-05 2282-05 1128-02 1824-04 1834-03 on rightI think texting will work that way i can refer back if need be

One code is the full line of both the left and right. As shown in the image, the code would be A039 0271.04

We need to know which codes began with the letter A. I am assuming the first one was A039 followed by one of the codes.

A means it is an active code.

039 means machine ECM

036 means engine ECM

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
does that mean both ECM have to be replacedfirst one is active

No, we are still trying to retrieve the codes.

The first two are not correct. No codes are listed in the 9000 range. The highest code possible on this machine is 2722

The last two numbers are for the failure ID

such as below

01    "Data valid but below normal operating range"

02    "Data erratic, intermittent or incorrect"

03    "Voltage above normal or shorted high"

04    "Voltage below normal or shorted low"

05    "Current below normal or open circuit"

06    "Current above normal or grounded circuit"

The first code has A039 on the left display, what was the firs code on the right display?

How many other codes had the letter A in front of the 039 or 036?

Please list them out as "A039 0271.03" so I can be sure we are working on the most recent codes and in the same order they scroll on the display.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
A(###) ###-####09 is first and only active

Great, thanks.

Here are the details.

This diagnostic code is recorded when the machine ECM does not receive expected information from the shift lever for more than 5 seconds.

Possible causes of the 668-9 diagnostic code are listed below:

An open, short, or a poor connection in the Cat data link circuit

Excessive noise on the data link circuit

The shifter controller has failed

The machine ECM has failed. This condition is unlikely.

System Response:

This failure results in events that are logged against an ECM that cannot be explained directly. The machine ECM cannot communicate with this ECM or the ECM appears to communicate intermittently.

Follow these steps to find the cause of this failure.

Test Step 1. INSPECT THE HARNESS CONNECTIONS

Reference Testing and Adjusting, "Electrical Connector - Inspect" in this manual

Turn the disconnect switch to the OFF position.

Inspect all harness connections that are related to the Cat Data Link. Make sure that the connectors are clean and tight.

Check the connectors for proper mating. Ensure that all the seals are present and in place.

Check the harness for signs of damage or abrasion.

Check the wires at the connector. Ensure that the wires are secured tightly into the connector. Take care not to pull the wire out of the connector.

Check the exposed wires at the connectors for nicks or signs of abrasion.

Check for moisture inside the connector.

Check the connectors for dirty contacts or corroded contacts.

Check each pin and each socket of the machine harness connectors. Ensure that the contacts are properly installed. The contacts should mate correctly when the two pieces of the connector are placed together.

Expected Result:

The machine harness connectors are tight and free of corrosion.

Results:

OK - The machine harness connectors are tight and free of corrosion. Proceed to Test Step 2.

NOT OK - The machine harness connectors are in need of repair.

Repair: Repair the machine harness or replace the machine harness.

STOP

Test Step 2. CHECK FOR SHORTS TO GROUND

Reference Testing and Adjusting, "Wiring Harness (Short Circuit) - Test" in this manual

The disconnect switch remains in the OFF position.

Disconnect the machine harness connectors from all electronic control modules that use the Cat Data Link.

At the machine harness for the shift lever, measure the resistance between frame ground and connector contacts 3 (wire 893-GN) and 4 (wire 892-BR) of the Cat Data Link circuit.

Expected Result:

The resistance is greater than 5000 ohms.

Results:

OK - The resistance is greater than 5000 ohms. The harness circuit resistance is correct. Proceed to Test Step 3.

NOT OK - The resistance is less than 5000 ohms. The machine harness has failed.

Repair: There is a short between frame ground and contacts 3 (wire 893-GN) and 4 (wire 892-BR) of the Cat Data Link circuit in the machine harness. Repair the machine harness or replace the machine harness.

STOP

Test Step 3. CHECK FOR SHORT TO THE +BATTERY CIRCUIT

All related electronic control modules remain disconnected from the machine harness.

At the machine harness connector for the shift lever, perform the checks that are listed here:

Measure the resistance between the connector contact 1 (wire 123-WH) and connector contact 3 (wire 893-GN).

Measure the resistance between connector contact 1 (wire 123-WH) and connector contact 4 (wire 892-BR).

Expected Result:

Results:

OK - The harness circuit resistance is correct. Proceed to Test Step 4.

Repair: There is a short between the +battery circuit and contacts 3 (wire 893-GN) and 4 (wire 892-BR) of the Cat Data Link circuit in the machine harness. Repair the machine harness or replace the machine harness.

STOP

Test Step 4. CHECK FOR OPEN HARNESS

Reference Testing and Adjusting, "Wiring Harness (Open Circuit) - Test" in this manual.

Check the resistance of the Cat Data Link circuit in the machine harness:

Measure the resistance between connector contact 10 (wire 893-GN) of the machine ECM and connector contact 3 (wire 893-GN) of the control for the shift lever.

Measure the resistance between connector contact 20 (wire 892-BR) of the machine ECM and connector contact 4 (wire 892-BR) of the control for the shift lever.

Expected Result:

The resistance measures less than 5 ohms.

Results:

OK - The resistance is less than 5 ohms. The Cat Data Link circuit in the machine harness is correct. Proceed to Test Step 5.

NOT OK - The resistance is greater than 5 ohms. The machine harness has failed.

Repair: The Cat Data Link circuit is open in the machine harness. Repair the machine harness or replace the machine harness.

STOP

Test Step 5. CHECK THE STATUS OF THE DIAGNOSTIC CODE

Inspect and clean the contacts of the Cat data link harness connectors.

Perform a 45 N (10 lb) pull test on each of the wires that are associated with the Cat data link circuit.

Reconnect all harness connectors. Make sure that the connectors are fully seated. Observe that the clips for each connector are fastened securely.

Turn the disconnect switch and the key start switch to the ON position.

Operate the machine.

Check the status of the 668-9 diagnostic code.

Expected Result:

The 668-9 diagnostic code is not active

Results:

OK - The 668-9 diagnostic code is not active. The diagnostic code does not exist at this time.

Repair: The fault was probably caused by a poor electrical connection or a short at one of the harness connectors that was disconnected and reconnected. Resume normal machine operation.

STOP

NOT OK - The 668-9 diagnostic code is still active. The diagnostic code has not been corrected.

Repair: Perform this procedure again. If the problem persists, swap the shifter controller with a known good part.
If swapping the shifter controller does not resolve the diagnostic code, the machine ECM may have failed.
Prior to replacing an ECM, contact your dealer Technical Communicator (TC) for possible consultation with Caterpillar. This consultation may greatly reduce repair time.
If machine ECM replacement is needed, refer toTesting and Adjusting, "Electronic Control Module (ECM) - Replace" in this manual.

STOP

The two main issues I have found with this code has been damaged wires under the machine or at the harness next to the ECM. If it common to find the harness has rubbed the frame and is shorting out the wires.

The other issue is the shifter itself. On open cab machines, water can get into the unit when it gets old and cause it to fail.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The rest start with 039 as follows 1251 08. 0811 09. 0271 05. 0096 03. 0096 04 1740 05. 1741 05. 1834 03. 1127 02. 1128 02 1128 02 1823 04. 1824 04 1193 05Does this mean Cat will have to come out I am 100 miles from nearest dealer

You could try a shifter if you do not want to test the wires first. The instructions cover the wires and the connectors with the locations. Looking for damage would be and easy fix if you find exposed wires.

Once the problem is corrected, the active  code will not be a problem. It will just be logged.

These do not have to be reset for the machine to work.

You could have the machine towed to the shop if you have a low cost roll-back wrecker service. The machine is less than 10,000 pounds.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Shifter is in the cab I am going to start looking at wires

That is were I would start!

---
Thank you for using Just Answer, if you do need further help, please let me know.
If you are satisfied with my service, please take a moment to provide a rating.
Thanks again, Don
CATMASTERTECH

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks

You're welcome! Glad to help.

catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician