Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a cat skid steer. No start no com to engine ecm have…

Customer Question
I have a cat skid...
I have a cat skid steer. No start no com to engine ecm have some can line question for you
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Answered in 7 days by:
6/16/2021
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 1 year ago
Dan, Technician

Hi, My name is***** will be glad to try to help. We can follow up as needed on here. Professionals are not employees of the site but users of the site and help on here as time allows depending on their daily schedule. Sorry to hear you are having troubles with this machine and I see you have been waiting some time for some advice on this. Anytime you have a loss of communication with the ECM on the machine you will first want to start your batteries and charging system to verify that your battery test good as well as all of your battery cables and connections being clean and tight to make good contact, including all grounds. Do a complete fuse panel check by testing each fuse for power on both sides with the ignition switch in the on position while replacing any fuse with power only on one side. This is also going to tell you if there is a loss of power before the fuse in any particular circuit. Swap your relays one at a time with a known good one for testing purposes if you do not have an actual relay tester. Verify that the ECM on the machine is getting power and ground when the ignition switch is on. Plug into the machine with Caterpillar electronic technician on a laptop to see if you can communicate with the ECM. If you have power and ground to the ECM but Caterpillar electronic technician will not communicate, it would lean towards an ECM failure or a software reflash and update needed from the dealer. I hope you find this information helpful. Reply back with the results of these checks if any further help is needed. It is a pleasure to help anyway I can.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I done fixed it

Great news. Glad to hear you got this resolved.