Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

1996 Bobcat 753 C series skid steer has started having a…

1996 Bobcat 753 C...

1996 Bobcat 753 C series skid steer has started having a problem with traction lock and hydraulic functions lock engaging during operation. Sometimes it is just the traction lock, other times just the hydraulic functions lock, sometimes both occur at the same instance. Shut off the engine and restart, press the traction lock override button and I hear the traction lock solenoid click and machine operates normally, sometimes for several minutes but other times only a few seconds. Repeat shut down, restart and override button then it operates again. What is going on? How to fix this problem?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Bobcat 753 C Series serial####-##-####

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Construction Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

1996 year built.

6/2/2021
Mechanic: Fieldtech59, Shop manager replied 1 year ago
Fieldtech59
Fieldtech59, Shop manager

Greetings. The C series is an older machine that we're working with and there's a number of things can cause this so be patient and let's see if we can noodle this out. First thing, when the locks down, are any of the LED lights on the BICS controller either flashing or not lit up? You need to check those LED lights the moment the fault happens. Second, does it have a seat switch? If it does that seat switch was very problematic, especially when it gets aged, which that machine is. Again, check those LED lights when it locks down, start there. Also, raise the cab and look the wiring harness over really well looking for rodent damage, that's a common problem that will cause problems like this. Let me know what you find.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sir, thank you. The BICS controller had the traction and hyd. valve lights go off and flash three times. Turn ignition switch off, re-start machine. BICS controller lights all on and traction and hyd. functions worked again until they did not again. Repeat process. Machine does not have the seat switch. ( It was not equipped with it when I bought machine as a used unit 22 years ago). When engine is started, the traction lock override button must be pressed to operate machine.Here is a conversation I had with a man on the AgTalk farm discussion forum. 1996 Bobcat 753 C series skid steer has started having a problem with traction lock and hydraulic functions lock engaging during operation. Sometimes it is just the traction lock, other times just the hydraulic functions lock, sometimes both occur at the same instance. Shut off the engine and restart, press the traction lock override button and I hear the traction lock solenoid click and machine operates normally, sometimes for several minutes but other times only a few seconds. Repeat shut down, restart and override button then it operates again. What is going on? How to fix this problem? He answered, mine did the same thing. after taking solenoid off and lock pin out i could use it. it was annoying to not have the traction lock so i called dealer out. they put a new 1000 dollar computer in it. next day the same thing. any way it was the alternator. been doing fine for years afterwards.I replied,, I examined every wire in sight, unplugged and re-plugged every wire connection, checked every fuse and solenoid with multi-meter, and many wires for voltage. I noticed that starter did not seem to be as vigorous as usual, so I checked voltage of battery, it was 11.80 volts. Started engine and check again. Still 11.80 volts. I have two 753 loaders so I checked the other for comparison. It had a little higher battery voltage but when engine was running it jumped to 13.75. You said yours turned out to be alternator. Knowing that, and seeing my voltages, I now believe that the alternator on my problem machine is the trouble. I will remove it and take to auto parts store tomorrow for testing and most likely replacement. Yesterday I replaced alternator and traction and hyd. functions operate normal with no locking up problems.Bad alternator was the problem. Nothing wrong with solenoids or switches or wiring, connections, etc. . Thank you again for you response in trying to help.

That's good news indeed. That's the thing about problems like this, there are so many things that can cause the problem. The later G series machines have a much upgraded and better BICS systems, on those machines it would alert you if the alternator is either charging too much or not enough, on the old C series and F series machines you pretty much just have to check everything. Good to hear you got it sorted out. Cheers

Fieldtech59
Fieldtech59, Shop manager