Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

763 bobcat that overheating change the oil change the

763 bobcat that overheating...

763 bobcat that overheating change the oil change the thermostat pull the radiator out it’s clear there’s air coming out of the black Vents but she keeps overhearing

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

I’m at home

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Change the oil change the thermostat James the radiator cap Pull the radiator check the fan it’s fine there’s air coming out of the vents the temperature gage bro says it’s hot and we pour water of the radiator in it cools down

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Construction Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

Spoke with parts guy at bobcat and told me to check radiator reservoir for bubbles and I did with no bubbles cracked head

5/20/2021
Mechanic: RichardH416, Technician replied 1 year ago
RichardH416
RichardH416, Technician

Hi and welcome to Just Answer.  Ill assist you with your question.

Can you verify that the water pump is giving flow through the radiator? Be very careful of opening a hot radiator. Does the overflow bottle have pressure building up in it?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The radiator doesn't even seem to have pressure the overflow bottle does not

If you can, start the machine and look for flow in radiator. You may have a faulty waterpump, air bubble in system, stuck thermostat. When machine is at operating temperature, are both radiator hoses the same temp or one colder than the other?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I just pulled radiator I replaced the thermostat. When the machine is overheating I pour water over the radiator and it cools down

Have you had the fan off?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The fan is working with hot air coming out of both sides

Is it just the gauge saying it's overheating or is it running bad etc?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Gauge goes to hot and shuts the machine down. Do think that the temperature sensor is bad.

I would not think so as it is doing what it is designed to do. Does your fan drive belt have good tension? The tensioner are known to go bad.

It is rare for the fan gear box to go bad but it does happen.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
we just replaced the beltWhen the machine gets hot I remove the radiator cap and there's no pressure

Are you losing any coolant? Any engine smoke?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We're not losing any coolant and the engine seems to run normal

I would suspect a bad water pump from this information. If it's bad, the coolant will set in place and heat up.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks I need to put the radiator back it's the only part I haven't replaceIf the water pump was not circulating the antifreeze pouring water over the radiator wouldn't cool the engine down

I would try to check water pump flow. If the coolant is barely moving or not moving, it will overheat. It may be moving very little.

And you are very welcome!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How do you check the water pump flow

It's hard to do on the upper mounted radiators. I have a piece of clear leaning tubing I put in a radiator hose so I can see the coolant.

***lexan***

Just checking in on any progress.  I look for your reply. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks for all the help I believe I have it fixed

You are very welcome. Thank you for using Just Answer.  Feel free to come back anytime. I'm glad you are up and running. Have a great day!

RichardH416
RichardH416, Technician