Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

420D backhoe loader. Front bucket controls working

Customer Question
420D backhoe loader. Front...

420D backhoe loader. Front bucket controls working erratically and little pressure to steering, everything else working great. I switched 2 quarter inch lines at the steering priority valve. Steering working great, 2600psi, bucket functions working but can only get 750 psi unless I deadhead a rear function or the steering. What should I look for. Thank you

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Model 420D. Serial CAT0420DPFD24855

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Equipment Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

Not that I can think of.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
5/12/2021
Mechanic: Heavy Equipment Tech, Heavy equipment mechanic replied 1 year ago
Heavy Equipment Tech
Heavy Equipment Tech, Heavy equipment mechanic
Welcome to JustAnswer, my name is***** am here to help you today! Professionals are not employees of the site, but users of the site and help on here as time allows depending on their daily schedule. Sorry to hear you're having these troubles. My work schedule is 5am to 8 am and 5pm to 10 pm monday to friday. Your question is as important to us as it is important to you. You have enough hydraulic oil? Maybe it is a relive pressure valve misalign on the bucket function. Check the picture below to see the valve and the bodyvalve.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't think it's a relief problem as it works fine if I deadhead a function like an outrigger or the excavator boom
Depending the machine, you have a relief for each control. So maybe the boom will not work, but the outrriger on the back will work perfect because they are not on the same relief. Or it can be the spool valve on your functions that it is not reaching is inital mouvement, sometimes they are stock.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am looking for someone who knows Cat and is very familiar with the priority steering / bucket control valve on the 420d.
Okay, I will redirect you to another expert.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you
Mechanic: RichardH416, Technician replied 1 year ago
RichardH416
RichardH416, Technician

Hi and welcome to Just Answer.  Ill assist you with your question.

It sounds like you have a shuttle valve bad or stuck. Give me a bit to look up your machine.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
But all 3 bucket functions are affected. The only function working on the valve is the priority steeringThe picture looks like a joystick controller. This valve has direct linkage controls

The steer valve and the bucket control valve will both have a shuttle/resolver valve. I suspect your steering shuttle is ok if it's steering correctly. I would pull the loader valve shuttle and check the o rings and make sure the ball isn't stuck or the ball seat beaten up. I have replaced a handful of the shuttles and they were acting like you described in the original post. If you have direct linkage, it will be under a Hexhead plug.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Are these shuttle valves located on the side of the valve opposite the working ports?

I would have to look them up for your serial number. It will be a bit before I am back at my computer.