Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a timber Jackskidder. I don’t know. The winch is slow…

Customer Question
I have a timber...

I have a timber Jack(###) ###-####skidder

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

I don’t know

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

The winch is slow the brake works and the free spool works, it just won’t pull any thing and it’s sluggish

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Equipment Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

Thats it

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
5/7/2021
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 1 year ago
Dan, Technician

Hi, My name is***** will be glad to try to help. We can follow up as needed on here. Professionals are not employees of the site but users of the site and help on here as time allows depending on their daily schedule. Sorry to hear you're having these troubles with your winch. The first thing I recommend doing is servicing the oil in the winch so you can check the drain oil in a clean drain bucket for any type of metal or friction material that would confirm internal mechanical problems within the winch that would require disassembly for further inspection and repair or rebuild. Further check for any sign of fine metal or debris within your hydraulic filter and hydraulic oil that would also flag a potential component failure existing. If all this is clean, I recommend having your pressures tested and confirmed whether or not they are within the OEM specifications for your model and serial number machines service book to determine whether or not there are internal problems that weren't uncovered by metal or trash in the system. I hope you find this information helpful. Reply back with the results of these checks if any further help is needed. It is a pleasure to help anyway I can.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There are no metal shavings in the oil. The brake works and the free spool works. It's just draggy. It won't pull a load.

Is this a shaft PTO drive on this winch or hydraulic motor? I suspect that there is a problem potentially with the winch slipping or your problem with power could potentially be the winch drive. If it is driven by a hydraulic motor, I would take a look inside your hydraulic filter to see if you have signs of metal or debris in the hydraulic filter that looks like glitter in the oil that would flag a component failure existing in the hydraulic system. Having your pressures and flows tested for that circuit would also be a good idea to determine whether or not your pressures are within OEM specifications for your machines model and serial number service book.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's hydraulic i took off the opposite side of the brake and there were no metal shavings. Where would the filter be located?

It would be your hydraulic filter mounted inside the hydraulic tank on the restrained side of the system.