Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

What is symbol 10 telling me? Hydraulics will not lift arms,

What is symbol 10...

What is symbol 10 telling me? Hydraulics will not lift arms

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

277d don’t have sn available right now. Exclamation mark flashing so is exclamation inside flat top circle

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes it’s in the field he has checked fluids

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Equipment Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

No

Mechanic's Assistant: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page to join JustAnswer for only $5 (fully-refundable). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Heavy Equipment Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.

Answered in 1 hour by:
5/5/2021
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 1 year ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

Hey, sorry to hear you are having these problems. I know that can be frustrating. Hopefully, we can get you back to work quickly.  I see no one could help you earlier, and I hope this is not too late to be helpful. Please note that I am not set up for phone calls, you can ignore the site pop-ups. We can post to this chat as much as you like to work through this issue. All experts are not employees, and we work from home in our spare time to answer questions.
---

What is your machine serial number?

What color is the alert indicator?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Super thanks for your help. Yes amber color on 3 n 12 flashing272 D don’t have sn at the moment

Is it a 272D, 272D XHP, 272D2, 272D2 XHP, 272D3, or 272D3 XE.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
272D

If just a 272D or 272D XHP, the ***** *****ght on 12 means,

12 - Engine Condition Indicator

AMBER Air Cleaner Indicator

#3 is the driver alert.

3 - Driver Alert This alert indicator will activate when there is a problem which requires operator attention.

Note: Other alert indicators that light or the gauges may help investigate the cause of any problems.

There are three levels of severity for the indicator:

Level 1 - If the alert indicator is on continuously, stop the machine at the earliest convenience. Investigate the cause. If no additional alert indicators are illuminated, contact your Cat dealer or refer to the service manual.

Level 2 - If the alert indicator is flashing and there is no audible alarm, severe component damage could occur. Change your operation or perform the indicated maintenance.

Level 3 - If the alert indicator is flashing and there is an audible alarm, injury to the operator or severe component damage could occur. Stop the machine immediately and stop the engine.

12 - Engine This alert will activate when there is a problem which requires operator attention.

There are three levels of severity for this indicator:

Level 1: If the alert indicator is on continuously, stop the machine at the earliest convenience. This alert is for the air cleaner indicator. Stop the machine and service the air cleaner.

Level 2: If the alert indicator is flashing and there is no audible alarm, severe component damage could occur. Change your operation or perform the indicated maintenance.

Level 3: If the alert indicator is flashing and there is an audible alarm, injury to the operator or severe component damage could occur. Stop the machine immediately and stop the engine.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok so they are flashing
Will a dirty air filter throw that code? It will move but hydraulics will only operate for a few seconds after start up. Then they go unfunctioning

Yes but, don't forget to check the air line to the filter. Some are routed to the side of the machine and can be blocked by leaves or other trash build up.

If equipped with a pre-cleaner, remove and inspect it for blockage.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Which side is the air line on? Right side same as filter? I'm not at the machine right now.

The housing may have a small line or hose to draw air from outside the engine compartment. Some are out to the side with more of an adapter and others have a hose that goes to the top for a pre-cleaner.

Pull the filter out and run your hand around the sides to find the inlet opening then feel for trash. Then find the outside hole for the air filter housing inlet to see if it is blocked.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok will do. Thank you for your help. Is there anything else that should be of interest to check?

If you have the advanced color display, you can view any fault codes in the diagnostic menus.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I do not have that display

Then only the dealer can check for other fault codes. If the #12 is red it could be overheating or oil pressure low.  Otherwise, use the description posted earlier to help determine the problem severity.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok I'll check air filter n components Thank you for all your help

You're welcome! Glad I could help.

Thank you for using Just Answer, if you do need further help, please let me know.
If you are satisfied with my service, please take a moment to provide a rating.
Thanks again, Don
CATMASTERTECH

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I

*

catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician