Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I've got an old 743 bobcat and recently it struggles to lift…

Customer Question
I've got an old...

I've got an old 743 bobcat and recently it struggles to lift any weight. I can lift an empty bucket up and down just fine, but as soon as I put weight in the bucket it really struggles and screams to lift it at a super slow pace. If I let off the lift pedal it drops back down. The lift cylinders have both been resealed within the last year. Could a bad O ring in a spool valve cause this?

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the vehicle handling normally otherwise, in spite of the screaming noise? Any leaking?

No leaks, tilt and curl works fine (bleeds off slowly over time), all other functions work as expected

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make, model, and year of your car?

743 Bobcat

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

I think that is it

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
4/27/2021
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 1 year ago
Dan, Technician

Hi, My name is***** will be glad to try to help. We can follow up as needed on here. Professionals are not employees of the site but users of the site and help on here as time allows depending on their daily schedule. Sorry to hear you're having these troubles with this machine. If your hydraulic cylinders have been resealed and are free from bypass within the cylinder seals, the symptoms you are experiencing are going to either be cost by a pump that is excessively tired not providing enough volume of oil to go over set relief pressure, or a control valve and relief valve cartridge problem that is causing your functions not to get full flow and pressure for those functions. If the problem only exists on the lift function but your other hydraulic functions are working fine, I suspect that the problem is likely going to be found within the control valve for your lift function or the relief valve cartridge within the main control valve. I would inspect your control valve for any type of trash or debris as well as any damaged O-rings or other damage within the relief valve cartridge that would cause a bypass of pressure and the relief valve to malfunction.It would be a good idea to have your pressures tested and confirmed to the OEM specifications covered in your machines model and serial number service book. This will also help determine whether or not the pump output is within specifications or if the problem leans more towards a control valve or relief valve problem.Check inside your hydraulic filter for what looks like fine metal or glitter that would flag a pump or component failure existing on this machine. I hope you find this information helpful. Reply back with the results of these checks if any further help is needed. It is a pleasure to help anyway I can.