Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Just read article on a 416b caterpillar regarding fuel

Just read article on...

Just read article on a 416b caterpillar regarding fuel issues. Starts fine, will run short distances then quits, have replaced fuel pum, fuel lines, fuel separator. Called in a professional diesel mechanic and “he doesn’t know”?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

416 B extendahoe backhoe, 1996, 8SG04463

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Construction Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

Thats all I know

3/25/2021
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 1 year ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Two things to check, the fuel outlet line from the tank, which may be sucking up debris, or the fuel shutoff solenoid that can be overheating,, and killing th engine. How long after it quits will it restart?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It runs out of fuel, there’s no fuel in the fuel filter when it does this. Setting still it idles indefinitely, give it fuel to move out of shop and fuel filter is emptied

Then the fuel outlet line to the filter needs to be removed, and the line blew out back toward the tank, with the tank cap removed. And also check the fitting at the filter for any debris too large to enter the filter.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Cannot talk right now. How could I contact you when able to.

Call may not be needed. Calls are an extra $26 and you have to set it up when yu are ready. You will just have to use the link in your email to get back here.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay

OK>

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Machine quits minutes after operational. Fuel filter is empty. All checks we have made indicate there is air coming from somewhere. Ran all tests we know to do. Considering replacing injection pump and that's another story. Two diesel mechanics, Ajax Diesel and Caterpillar, were unable to fix. Ran same tests we did and nothing else. Like I said, we are at the injection pump and there's no guarantee thats the issue. There's air in the line.