Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a 2011 cat 315 D that is reading "tool control

I have a 2011 cat...
I have a 2011 cat 315 D that is reading "tool control malfunction" on startup. I only ever use a digging or a tilt bucket. The machine runs very little in the winter and has only started doing this after about a month sit. This tilt bucket seems to work fine but even after cycling through the bucket options, the "tool control malfunction" still appears on the home screen
The Attive error code reads 39: 1931-5
there are four logger error codes in this order
36: 91 - 8
39: 1657 - 4
39: 1657 - 8
39: 1931 - 5
3/18/2021
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 1 year ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

Hey, sorry to hear you are having these problems. I know that can be frustrating. Hopefully, we can get you back to work quickly.
Please note that I am not set up for phone calls, you can ignore the site pop-ups. We can post to this chat as much as you like to work through this issue. All experts are not employees, and we work from home in our spare time to answer questions.
---
Please include the complete machine serial number (PIN) with your reply, it is needed to find the correct information to help you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
JGS00244

Prefix 39 are machine codes. Active and logged codes are the same just active means it is currently occurring.

CID 1931 Auxiliary Circuit Flow Combining Solenoid

FMI 05 Current Below Normal

CID 1657 Left Joystick Thumbwheel

FMI 04 Voltage Below Normal

FMI 08 Abnormal Frequency, Pulse Width, or Period

Prefix 36 are engine codes

91-8 Throttle Position Sensor : Abnormal Frequency, Pulse Width, or Period

For your active code, MID 039 CID 1931 FMI 05

Conditions Which Generate This Code:

This diagnostic code is associated with the auxiliary circuit for the "Solenoid Valve (Flow Combining)". The FMI 05 diagnostic code means that the ECM has determined that the current of the solenoid is below normal.

The possible causes of this diagnostic code are listed below:

• The energize circuit of the solenoid is open.

• The ground circuit of the solenoid is open.

• The solenoid has failed.

• The ECM has failed. A failure of the ECM is unlikely.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That is extremely helpful. I’m very impressed. Any idea where the he solenoid is located on the machine?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Where would you start to diagnose?

Follow this guide to find the cause of this code.

---

Note: The following test procedure may create other diagnostic codes. Ignore these created diagnostic codes and clear these diagnostic codes when the original diagnostic code has been corrected. Ensure that the diagnostic code of CID 1931 FMI 05 is active before performing this procedure.

Note: Use the(###) ###-####Digital Multimeter for the measurements in this procedure.

Test Step 1. CHECK THE SOLENOID.

1. Turn the disconnect switch and the key start switch to the ON position. Do not start the engine.

2. Disconnect the solenoid with the active diagnostic code from the machine harness.

3. At the machine harness connector for the solenoid, place a jumper wire from contact 1 (wire K871-WH(White)) to contact 2 (wire 235-BK(Black)).

4. Observe the status of the CID 1931 FMI 05 diagnostic code.

Expected Result:

The CID 1931 FMI 05 diagnostic code remains active. The code has not changed and the "FMI 05" code is still active.

Results:

• YES - The diagnostic code remains active. The jumper wire does not affect the diagnostic code. Proceed to Test Step 2.

• NO - The diagnostic is no longer active. The solenoid has failed.

Repair: The solenoid has failed. Repeat this Test Step "CHECK THE SOLENOID" to verify the solenoid failure. Replace the solenoid. Verify that the new solenoid corrects the problem.

STOP

Test Step 2. CHECK THE HARNESS FOR AN OPEN.

1. Turn the key start switch and the disconnect switch to the OFF position.

2. Disconnect the machine harness connectors from the ECM.

3. The jumper wire that was installed in the previous test step remains in place.

4. At the machine harness connector, measure the resistance from signal contact J2-10 (wire K871-WH(White)) to ground (wire 235-BK(Black)).

Expected Result:

The resistance is less than 5.0 ohms.

Results:

• OK - The resistance is less than 5.0 ohms. The machine harness is correct. Proceed to Test Step 3.

• NOT OK - The resistance is greater than 5000 ohms. The resistance measurement is not correct. There is an open circuit in the machine harness.

Repair: The open is in wire K871-WH(White) or in wire 235-BK(Black) of the machine harness. Repair the machine harness or replace the machine harness.

STOP

Test Step 3. CHECK IF THE DIAGNOSTIC CODE REMAINS.

1. Inspect the contacts of the harness connectors and clean the harness connectors.

2. Reconnect all harness connectors.

3. Turn the disconnect switch and the key start switch to the ON position.

4. Operate the machine.

5. Check the status of the CID 1931 FMI 05 diagnostic code.

Expected Result:

The CID 1931 FMI 05 diagnostic code is active.

Results:

• YES - The CID 1931 FMI 05 diagnostic code is active. The diagnostic code has not been corrected. The ECM may have failed.

Repair: A failure of the ECM is unlikely. Exit this procedure and perform this procedure again. If the cause of the diagnostic code is not found, replace the ECM. See Testing and Adjusting, "Electronic Control Module (ECM) - Replace".

STOP

• NO - The CID 1931 FMI 05 diagnostic code is not active. The diagnostic code does not exist at this time.

Repair: The initial diagnostic code was probably caused by a poor electrical connection or a short at one of the disconnected and reconnected harness connectors. Resume normal machine operation.

STOP

That is a Deutsch HD connector and your CAT dealer has them under part #155-2270

You will also need new terminals # 9X-3402.

CAT also sells the 1U-5804 crimping tool but, it is over $300 from them.

You may find it cheaper elsewhere.

catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician