Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a 272D skid steer showing code 2476-4 left joystick…

I have a 272D...

I have a 272D skid steer showing code 2476-4 left joystick left/right postion sensor voltage below normal

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

INS-PD-INSB5W01089 272D-B5W01089

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

I took the joystick out is all

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Construction Mechanic to know before I connect you?

Nothing that i know of

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/12/2021
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 1 year ago
Dan, Technician

Hi, My name is***** will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here. Professionals are not employees of the site but users of the site and help on here as time allows depending on their daily schedule.Sorry to hear you are having these troubles with your joystick controls on this machine. Be sure to check all of your fuses and relays first and foremost. If this checks out okay, thoroughly inspect your wiring harness and connector pins for your joystick controls and going to the ECM for any corrosion or damage that would cause an open circuit or a short. If all of this checks out okay, I recommend plugging into this machine with Caterpillar electronic technician in order to run any software updates and recalibration's on this machine to see if this will resolve the problem or if the fault still exists indicating a possible failed joystick control or other problem with the ECM or software.

This diagnostic code is associated with the left-right location for the Left Joystick Position Sensor. The sensor provides an input signal to the ECM. This diagnostic code is recorded when the ECM determines that the voltage of the signal is above normal.

The position sensor is a PWM sensor that operates at a frequency of approximately 500 ± 80 Hz. The duty cycle of the signal will vary. The signal will vary approximately 20% at the joystick in the full rearward position. The signal will vary by approximately 80% at the joystick in the full forward position. When the joystick is in the center position, the duty cycle will be approximately 50%.

The possible causes of this diagnostic code are listed:

• The sensor for the power supply circuit is open.

• The sensor for the return circuit is open.

• The signal circuit is open.

• The signal circuit is shorted to a voltage source.

• The sensor has failed.

• The ECM has failed. ECM failure is unlikely.

I hope you find this information helpful. Reply back with the results of these checks if any further help is needed. It is a pleasure to help anyway I can.

Dan, Technician