Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a cat excavator serial number tfx00790 320elrr has a…

I have a cat excavator...
I have a cat excavator serial number tfx00790 320elrr has a code 732-5 voltage i was wondering if u have a schematic fir this I thino I was gona jump the solenoid to see if code changes I think that would verify wiring ok Bt ye let me know if u have info I think this solenoid on the center where it rotates let me know what info u got thanks buddy
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Where the switch panel
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 1 year ago

It is the right console. Sometimes call "Free swing" switch.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok by the joystick correct

Let me double check, that doesn't sound quite right.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok see if u can check want Check the wires conunity

The solenoid is actually to the soft touch panel just forward of the console switches.

Here are the troubleshooting steps.

This diagnostic code is associated with the fine swing solenoid.

This diagnostic code is recorded when the ECM reads the current of the solenoid as being below normal.

The possible causes are listed:

• There is an open in the circuit.

• The solenoid has failed.

• There is an incorrect attachment code.

• The ECM has failed. A failure of the ECM is unlikely.

Test Step 1. CHECK THE SOLENOID.

1. Turn the disconnect switch and the key start switch to the ON position. Do not start the engine.

2. Disconnect the machine harness from the solenoid.

3. At the machine harness connector for the solenoid, place a jumper wire from contact 1 (wire L973-GN(Green)) to contact 2 (wire 235-BK(Black)).

4. Observe the status of the diagnostic code.

Expected Result:

The diagnostic code is active. Then, the diagnostic code changes to FMI 06 as the jumper wire is installed.

Results:

• YES - The circuit is correct. The solenoid has failed.

Repair: Repeat this test "CHECK THE SOLENOID" in order to verify that the solenoid has failed. Replace the solenoid.

STOP

• NO - The diagnostic code remains active. Proceed to Test Step 2.

Test Step 2. CHECK THE SOLENOID CIRCUIT FOR AN OPEN.

1. Turn the key start switch and the disconnect switch to the OFF position.

2. Disconnect the C2 machine harness connector from the Switch Panel.

3. At the machine harness connector for the solenoid, the jumper wire remains installed.

4. At C2 machine harness connector for the switch panel, measure the resistance from contact C2-6 (wire L973-GN(Green)) to contact C2-2 (wire 235-BK(Black).

Expected Result:

The resistance should be less than 5000 ohms.

Results:

• YES - The resistance is less than 5000 ohms. The machine harness is correct. Proceed to Test Step 3.

• NO - The resistance measurement is not correct. There is an open circuit in the machine harness.

Repair: The open is in the wire for the solenoid signal or in wire (235-BK(Black)) of the machine harness. Repair the machine harness or replace the machine harness.

STOP

Test Step 3. CHECK IF THE DIAGNOSTIC CODE REMAINS.

1. Inspect the contacts and clean the contacts of the harness connectors.

2. Reconnect all harness connectors.

3. Turn the disconnect switch and the key start switch to the ON position.

4. Clear all inactive diagnostic codes.

5. Check if the diagnostic code for the solenoid is active.

Expected Result:

The diagnostic code is no longer active.

Results:

• YES - The diagnostic code is no longer active. The diagnostic code does not exist at this time. The initial diagnostic code was probably caused by a poor electrical connection or a short at one of the harness connectors. Resume normal machine operation.

STOP

• NO - The diagnostic code has not been corrected.

Repair: A failure of the switch panel is unlikely. Exit this procedure and perform this procedure again. Also, recheck if the diagnostic code is active. If the cause of the diagnostic code is not found, replace the switch panel. See Testing and Adjusting, "Electronic Control Module (ECM) - Replace".

STOP

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Perfect dam I wish had that access I gona bother my boss for this so helpfulPin 9 on schematic53 is switch panel

It is a time saver for sure!

No that is from the switch. L973 wire to pin 6 in the 20 pin connector.

Yes 53 is a reference to the location chart on the schematic

Pin 2 of the same connector is the ground.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That what I need Check the groundI see there two connector it’s the first connector

If you install a jumper wire at the solenoid connector and then read continuity at the panel connector on pin 6 and 2, if it has less than 5 ohms, it is a good circuit.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I test that firstI usually jumper wire code change I leave wiring alone I will let u know tommorow thanks buddy ur a lot of help

Ok, finally found it. The solenoid should have 34 ohms resistance. They moved the details on the schematic to the part. Shows a(###) ###-####for the solenoid.

I would would do the jumper test to see the code change first. Then you will know right away it is a solenoid failure.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok thanks buddy I let u know tommorow

You're welcome! Glad to help.

catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician