Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Cat 279c starts cold fine warm up and shut down won’t

Customer Question
Cat 279c starts cold...

Cat 279c starts cold fine warm up and shut down won’t restart without ether

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Cat0279cjmbt00746

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

New fuel filters, 4 psi fuel pressure at pump no air in fuel

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
3/12/2021
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 1 year ago
Dan, Technician

Hi, My name is***** will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here. Professionals are not employees of the site but users of the site and help on here as time allows depending on their daily schedule.Sorry to hear you're having these troubles with your skid steer. I see that you have already replaced your fuel filters. Be sure to check for any leaks or restrictions and confirm it. It sounds like you have confirmed no iteration of fuel which is good. One other thing you want to consider is engine cranking speed as if you have low voltage from a weak battery or other starting system problems, you may not have enough cranking speed for the ECM to pick up the speed sensor signal right away until you add starting fluid that ultimately speeds up the engine when cranking. Test your battery with a digital battery tester for bad cells or other internal problems. Make sure it tests good within its rated capacity for cranking amps. Be sure to check all cables and connections, including all grounds. On the C-Series skid steers, you have a single ECM that in less you have the optional digital display allowing you to retrieve fault codes, you will need Caterpillar electronic technician in order to communicate with the ECM, retrieve codes, and perform diagnostics. If nothing mechanical is found as mentioned above, the next step would be to plug this machine in two Caterpillar electronic technician so your speed sensor parameters, codes, etc. can all be monitored in live time in order to determine whether or not you have an engine speed sensor problem or other problem when the engine is at operating temperature. Sometimes you could even run into a software related glitch that would require a reprogramming of the ECM software with the most current updates.I hope you find this information helpful. Reply back with the results of these checks if any further help is needed. It is a pleasure to help anyway I can.