Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a 2015 CAT 299D XHP with a high flow FAE mulcher

Customer Question
attached. Recently I was using...
I have a 2015 CAT 299D XHP with a high flow FAE mulcher attached. Recently I was using the mulcher and my machine died suddenly and without warning. When I tried to restart it, it would not crank. I replaced all of the fuses and it restarted no issue. I then used it again for about 20 minutes, paused with machine on for 10, but upon trying to restart the mulcher hydraulics with continuous flow on, the machine died. It restarted this time, but has a yellow diamond warning light next to the parking symbol and the continuous flow will not engage. What us wrong?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
3/10/2021
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 1 year ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

Hello, sorry to hear you are having these problems. I know that can be frustrating. Hopefully, we can get you back to work quickly. I see no one could help you earlier, and I hope this is not too late to be helpful. Please note that I am not set up for phone calls, you can ignore the site pop-ups. We can post to this chat as much as you like to work through this issue. All experts are not employees, and we work from home in our spare time to answer questions.

---

Below are the details for this warning. It is likely an emissions problem and the dealer will be needed to reset the lockout after the cause is corrected.

This machine is controlled by ECMs and the CAT ET service program is the only way to view the codes and troubleshoot the problem.

---

* - Driver Alert This alert indicator will activate when there is a problem which requires operator attention.

Note: Machines equipped with EU Stage V Emission Controls will also use this alert indicator to signal system failure. Refer to this Operation and Maintenance Manual, "Diesel Particulate Filter Regeneration", "EU Stage V Emissions Control System" for applicable models and details.

Note: Other alert indicators that light or the gauges may help investigate the cause of any problems.

There are three levels of severity for the indicator:

Level 1 - If the alert indicator is on continuously, stop the machine at the earliest convenience. Check the following before consulting your Cat dealer.

• Ensure that the machine has been adequately warmed up. Refer to Engine Starting for an explanation of the engine and ambient conditions that may trigger this.

• If the Engine Condition alert indicator is AMBER, water may be present in the fuel. Drain the water from the fuel/water separator. For more information refer to "Operation Maintenance Manual" , Fuel System Primary Filter (Water Separator) - Drain.

• If the Engine Condition alert indicator is AMBER, the engine air filter may be restricted. For more information refer to "Operation Maintenance Manual" , Engine Air Filter Primary Element - Clean/Replace.

• If the Hydraulics alert indicator is AMBER, the filter is bypassing. Check that the hydraulic oil filter is not plugged. For more information refer to "Operation Maintenance Manual" , Hydraulic System Oil Filter - Replace. See also Oil Filter - Inspect.

• Check for proper battery voltage and ensure that the alternator and wiring are good.

Level 2 - If the alert indicator is flashing and there is no audible alarm, severe component damage could occur. Stop the machine at the earliest convenience and check the following before consulting your Cat dealer.

• If the Engine Condition alert indicator is RED and the maximum engine speed is reduced, water may be present in the fuel. Drain the water from the fuel/water separator. For more information refer to "Operation Maintenance Manual" , Fuel System Primary Filter (Water Separator) – Drain

• If the Engine Condition alert indicator is RED and the maximum engine speed is reduced, the engine air filter may be restricted. For more information refer to "Operation Maintenance Manual" , Engine Air Filter Primary Element - Clean/Replace.

• If the machine is equipped with a Diesel Particulate Filter, move the machine to a safe location and set the parking brake. If the engine RPM begins to rise shortly, allow the machine to complete a regeneration cycle. For more information refer to "Operation Maintenance Manual" , Diesel Particulate Filter Regeneration.

• If the SCR Warning alert indicator is flashing RED, check the Diesel Exhaust Fluid Level. See Diesel Exhaust Fluid - Fill. Refer to Selective Catalytic Reduction Warning System for an explanation of the various SCR warning levels.

• A sensor on the machine may be faulted or has come unplugged. For tracked machines, check that the wiring to the drive motor speed sensor wiring is not damaged. Consult your Cat dealer for advanced troubleshooting support.

• Cab alarm is missing, unplugged, or as failed

Level 3 - If the alert indicator is flashing and there is an audible alarm, injury to the operator or severe component damage could occur. Stop the machine immediately and check the following before consulting your Cat dealer:

• Check the engine oil. See Operation Maintenance manual , Engine Oil level - Check . If the Engine Condition alert indicator is RED, the engine oil filter may be plugged. See Engine Oil and Filter - Change. See also Oil Filter - Inspect.

• If the Engine Condition alert indicator is RED, the engine coolant temperature may be high. Clean the engine radiator, reduce the engine load, and allow the engine to cool. For more information refer to Operation Maintenance Manual , Radiator Core - Clean.

• If the Hydraulics alert indicator is RED, the hydraulic oil temperature is high. Check the hydraulic oil level. Refer to Operation Maintenance Manual , Hydraulic System Oil Level - Check. Clean the hydraulic oil cooler, reduce the hydraulic load, and allow the system to cool. See Radiator Core - Clean.

• A sensor on the machine may be faulted or has come unplugged. For tracked machines, check that the wiring to the drive motor speed sensors is not damaged. Consult your Cat dealer for advanced troubleshooting support.

---

Thank you for using Just Answer, if you do need further help, please let me know.

If you are satisfied with my service, please take a moment to provide a rating.

Thanks again, Don

CATMASTERTECH

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you very much. So for clarification, do you know which fuses on the panel would cause the machine to die suddenly with no lights or warning? I replaced all of them in an attempt to rule out the fuses as an issue, so I honestly do not know which it was that caused the machine to die and refuse to restart.

I could only guess the key switch fuse as it is the one connected to the ECMs.

Maybe the engine ECM fuse could as well but, it is not likely to see warnings for power loss. However, the ECMs would log codes for loss of communication to the other ECM if it was just and ECM fuse.

That is why CAT ET is so important when troubleshooting.

The newer D2 versions have the Adanced display option that can show most codes. I don't believe it is available for this version though. Other code readers can view J1939 CAN data but, CAT uses its own protocol for the machine data.

I would always start troubleshooting by inspecting the easy stuff first. make sure the battery cables are tight and connections are clean. Inspect fuses the same way. Loose connections can leave black arc markings when poorly connected and eventually it can lose power and finally heat up and blow the link.

Also, test the battery and the alternator to see if the voltage is steady. ECMs have a safety feature to shutoff when the voltage is too low OR too high.