Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Cat 416 backhoe loader bucket will not lift. new hyd pump…

Customer Question
Cat 416 b backhoe...

Cat 416 b backhoe loader bucket will not lift. new hyd pump have pulled valve all looks all other hyd. works good front and rear. anyideas

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Construction Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

Cat 416 b backhoe fromt loader will not lift will tilt. all rear hydraulics work well but no front lift. new hydraulic pump and have pulled lift valve and all looks good. any ideas

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
3/7/2021
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 1 year ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

Hey, sorry to hear you are having these problems. I know that can be frustrating. Hopefully, we can get you back to work quickly.

Please note that I am not set up for phone calls, you can ignore the site pop-ups. We can post to this chat as much as you like to work through this issue. All experts are not employees, and we work from home in our spare time to answer questions.

---

Please include the complete machine serial number (PIN) with your reply, it is needed to find the correct information to help you.

---

Did you replace all the resolver seals while checking the loader valve?

Did you miss and of the check balls in the secondary resolvers?

If you stall a backhoe function, will the loader power return?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
model 416b ser # 5hk07410 product #8zk00878z all seals good check balls in place power does return after stall

I am sorry, I am not set up for phone calls. Please ignore the site pop-ups, they are site generated and I do not have any control over them. If you would prefer to talk to someone, I will OPT-OUT of this question and let other experts help you.

We can post to this chat as much as you like to work through this issue. Experts are not employees, we work in our spare time to answer questions.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
continue on line

How is the steering?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
steering fine

The loader Tilt and the clamshell work correctly?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
tiltfine no clamshell

Just to clarify, if you hold the tilt lever in to the rack-back position and move the loader lift simultaneously, the loader lift arms do not move at all?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
that is correct no up at all tilt is fine

Ok, thanks.

I assume the bucket is on the ground. If you roll the bucket to the dump position, do the arms lift or does the machine raise?

Do the only the arms raise up OR does the whole machine raise up?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
only the ars raise up

Have you checked both lift cylinders for damage?

Have they been resealed?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
this all started with contamination of hyd sys have flushed sts and changed filter 2 times there were many issues which were resolved, i replaced hyd pump and i am now down to this last issue

If rolling the bucket over to the dump position raised the loader arms, this means the loader cylinders are not sealing.

This could be in the cylinders were a piston has come loose or a packing has failed and the oil is bypassing.

This could also be in the loader valve but, you said that has been gone through and when stalling another function, the lift still does not respond.

That points more to the cylinders.

Either way, it has to be a serious internal bypassing leak that has caused this problem.

I am assuming the flow control valves are ok as well and none of the contamination has damaged these?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
when i cracked the pressure line going to lift cylinders and attempted to lift bucket oil only dripped out slowly should there be a pressure flow there

yes

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
what would cause that

Did you have the loader valve removed and all components cleaned and checked?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
only by me

Are the flow control valves free of damage and not sticking?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
dont know i need to find flow controll valves and check

see the image below.

Remove plug 15 then remove the flow control valve 16. The spring 17 may lift it slightly but it will not push it out of the valve.

The flow control valve must be free and not bind in the bore.

I doubt you will have access in the machine. Maybe if you remove some of the linkage but, often it is easier to remove the valve.

Once the valve assembly is out, it should be completely disassembled and inspected.

Thank you for using JustAnswer, if you do need further help please let me know.

If you are satisfied with my service, please take a moment to provide a rating.

Thanks again, Don

CATMASTERTECH