Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Masterpiece, I am working on a 420D Cat backhoe that will…

This question is for...

This question is for cat masterpiece, I am working on a 420D Cat backhoe that will not go forward or backwards. It was working well and failed to go forward I backed up and tried again still no forward movement but then it wouldn't back up either. The serial number is *****

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

420DCFDP24190

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Construction Mechanic to know before I connect you?

That should do it

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The question was for cat mastertech
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/5/2021
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 1 year ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

What have you checked so far? Fuse, neutralizer switches, solenoids?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Fuses are good but I don't have a manual for the machine to help me troubleshoot I figured I would save a bunch of time but asking first

I like to start at the shift control. Remove the covers from the steering column and disconnect the harness from the bottom of the shift controller.

Check for power to pin #1 and ground at pin #2. This must have power and ground for the system to work.

Then check for ground on pin #9. If this pin has continuity to ground, one of the neutralizer switches or the wires for the switches have failed or are shorted to ground as a ground will tell the control to disengage the drive.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will try these things probably on Sunday that is as soon as I can get back to that machine I forgot to tell you that it will not start with the key now it will start and run with my remote starter switch

Then I will check to the ohms on the solenoids for forward and reverse.

Tank an ohm reading at pins 3 and 5 (forward), then take a reading at pins 4 and 6 (reverse). Both should read about 8 ohms for good coils and a good circuit.

The last item that can effect the operation is the parking brake switch.

As with the neutralizer switches, check pin #11 for ground. If it is grounded the parking brake light should be on and the transmission may not engage the drive. (This was not used on all models but, some have it as a safety feature to protect the parking brake.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Parking brake light works as it should. This machine has been sitting for 3 years it has about 5100 hrs and appears to be in overall good shape

If you have a starting problem, the control has likely failed.

At this same connector, install a jumper wire at pin 7 and connect it to pin 8. Then try cranking the engine. If it cranks, the problem is in the controller.

The new part number is(###) ###-####Transmission Control.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will be back in touch when I get back to it thanks a bunch

Glad I could help.

---

Thank you for using JustAnswer, if you do need further help please let me know.

If you are satisfied with my service, please take a moment to provide a rating.

Thanks again, Don

CATMASTERTECH

---

P.S. Questions are only open for a few days. The links may not work after that time.

catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician