Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I got a cat 324e excavator and the bucket want curl in, put…

Customer Question
I got a cat...

I got a cat 324e excavator and the bucket want curl in, put new packing in cylinder and it still want curl, if u get it to curl a little as soon as I let off lever the bucket will fall back down on its own, got any suggestions

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

324E

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Equipment Mechanic to know before I connect you?

CAT0324EAPNW00240

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
2/25/2021
Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 1 year ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Howdy from Tennessee, I'm Chris aka Moose. Who am I helping today? I'm glad you've come here to get help. I will do my best to get the answer you are looking for. I help many customers, so sometimes my replies are delayed, I will respond once available. I try to be online at 1-5 pm and 10 pm-5 am every day.

Use longer lines and route the bucket control hydraulics to another cylinder, then move the lever for the bucket. Does it control that cylinder correct? If not then the concern is in the hydraulic block and valve in the joystick control. If the cylinder works right then it has to be the seals in the cylinder to blame. Either the piston's seal or the seal on the back of the cylinder where the nut is threaded on. It can also be scoring in the cylinder on the outer walls or the cylinder is bent on the outer housing.

Thank you for seeking us for help, I hope I provided what was needed. Press reply if you need to follow up. If you liked my answer please let me know so I can mark your question complete. Moose

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How do u check hydraulic block and valve

You would test it by doing the steps I mentioned prior to see if those hoses can control another cylinder with hydraulic pressure correctly. You could also use a pressure gauge but you would need a couple of hoses and fittings to do so.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I hooked up pressure gauge and the side to curl bucket out was 5,000 psi and the side to curl it in had 400psi

When you did this test, one side should have a lot of psi and the other not while in one direction of movement. Did you test both inputs to the cylinder when operating the cylinder in both directions?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Friend of mine had cat computer hooked up to it , while he was working the joy stick back and forth , and it was 5,000 on one side and 400 on the other

That means you need to check the hydraulic block that sends pressure to that cylinder's hydraulic lines. See if the bore and valve are scored, sticking, cracked. If you have electronic controls then the solenoid would be the likely issue if the valve block is fine.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I changed the pressure relief valve and that fixed it, thanks

Glad you got it resolved.