Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Have a 12H cat motorgrader sn#cbk00652. After running for…

Have a 12H cat motorgrader...
Have a 12H cat motorgrader sn#cbk00652. After running for about an hour, third and fourth gear will not work. After a few seconds when im in those gears code come up 585 and 673, which is output sensor is incorrect. These sensors are fine.
2/11/2021
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 1 year ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

Hey, sorry to hear you are having these problems. I know that can be frustrating. Hopefully, we can get you back to work quickly. I see no one could help you earlier, and I hope this is not too late to be helpful. Please note that I am not set up for phone calls, you can ignore the site pop-ups. We can post to this chat as much as you like to work through this issue. All experts are not employees, and we work from home in our spare time to answer questions.

---

It is normal to see these codes when a transmission is slipping. It is not a fault code that is prevent the transmission to engage, it is a result of the slippage.

Have you checked your filter and screen for debris? Is the transmission failing?

Have you checked the transmission pressures?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Have not checked filter or screen. All other gears work, except 3 and 4.I have not checked pressures.

That is the best place to start. Are you working on this problem now?

Do you know if the highest gears are working? 8 forward and 6 reverse?

3rd and 4th share clutch #5 (solenoid G) and it is also used for 8F and 6R.

(Also 3R but not 4R used clutch 5)

The solenoid should have two brown wires from the transmission harness connected to it. You can swap a similar solenoid for a quick test to see if the coil is ok.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Not sure if 8F or 6R work havent tried will try tomorrow. Gears 3 and 4 work perfect when machine is cold. As the machine gets hotter those gears start going out. If i stay in those gears the whole time machine works fine in those gears. When i shift from another gear to 3 or 4, thats when it dont grab.Now the solenoid G that you are talking about where is it located on the transmission controller?

The valve is a stack of two sections. One contains the clutch cable control and the other just has a relief valve at the top.

The section with only the relief valve, G is next to the bottom. Verify the wire colors to be certain.

The pressure tap is the rear tap just above the bottom two taps. Looking for 400 psi.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Will check in the morning for solenoids.

Great! Glad I could help.

---

Thank you for using JustAnswer, if you do need further help please let me know.

If you are satisfied with my service, please take a moment to provide a rating.

Thanks again, Don

CATMASTERTECH

catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician