Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Have a cat 262c. in 2 speed the machine will at times only…

Customer Question
Have a cat 262c...

Have a cat 262c. in 2 speed the machine will at times only move as fast as 1 speed. when we stop and reegnage the joystick it will begin to move full speed again. hydralics are tpped off. system was just gone through last season with new wheel motor and pump. system flushed, ran for 10 hors and system flushed again.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

2007 cat 262c CAT0262CPMST00232

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Construction Mechanic to know before I connect you?

7500 hours.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
2/10/2021
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 1 year ago
Dan, Technician

Hi, My name is***** will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here. Professionals are not employees of the site but users of the site and help on here as time allows depending on their daily schedule.Sorry to hear you're having these troubles with your machine. I can understand how frustrating this can be especially after all the work that was done a year ago. It sounds like there is a possibility that some contamination may still have been in the system that could have an effect if it were to get into your valves and cause a valve to stick intermittently. I recommend that you remove your hydraulic filter when replacing it in order to inspect it internally to see if there is any sign of metal production within your system that would indicate a new failure occurring and system contamination existing. This will look like glitter in the oil and filter if present. It is also recommended to have your flows and pressures tested and confirmed whether or not they are within OEM specifications for your model and serial number machines service book. If all of this checks out okay, I recommend that you have Caterpillar electronic technician connected to the machine and reflash and update the ECM software and calibrations on the machine to then see if the problem resolves as well as checking for any fault code history log so those fault codes can be investigated individually if found.I hope you find this information helpful. Reply back with the results of these checks if any further help is needed. It is a pleasure to help anyway I can.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Pulled the filter off already and check for debris and the oil is as clean as a new machine! Its is very intermittent and that doesn't help finding the problem. I was thinking that it could be an electrical issue as I'm assuming there isn't any adjustments at the joystick for this machine. Could there me an issue with the joystick itself or sensor? I want to try and get the the problem to happen all the time before bringing to dealer. I hate bringing machine in for intermittent concern because it never shows the problem at the dealer.
Thank you for the update and confirmation.intermittent problems as you are aware are some of the most difficult problems to find so you could try to see if you have any voltage related issues maybe from your battery or charging system that might cause some erratic operation. Check all of your cables and connections, including grounds. If you have the optional display that allows you to see fault codes you can identify and troubleshoot those fault codes individually. The c series machines have a single ECM that requires caterpillar electronic technician to be connected in order to communicate with the machines ECM. If there are no mechanical problems with a valve that is sticking and all of your pressures have been tested and confirmed they are within OEM specifications for your model in serial number service book, I would lean towards software recalibration through caterpillar electronic technician if there are no problems with the wiring harness. See if you can duplicate the symptoms by moving the wiring harness around to get them to be more consistent.