Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a hitachi ex120-2 excavator. Shut it down for lunch…

Customer Question
I have a hitachi...

I have a hitachi ex120-2 excavator. Shut it down for lunch and now it wont start. I’m getting a clicking sound from what i think is the governor. It turns over but will not start, sounds like fuel is cut off

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Sn is 12N-35768 model is ex120-2

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
2/9/2021
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 1 year ago
Dan, Technician

Hi, My name is***** will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here. Professionals are not employees of the site but users of the site and help on here as time allows depending on their daily schedule.Sorry to hear you are having these troubles with your machine. I can understand how frustrating these things can be when they arise unexpectedly. Test your batteries with a digital battery tester for bad cells or other internal problems. Thoroughly inspect your cables and connections between your battery and starter assembly, including all grounds. Check the wiring and connector pins going to your fuel shut off for any corrosion or damage. Be sure to check all fuses and relays. The symptoms you describe sound more to be a poor connection somewhere within the wiring harness or your battery cables and connections if the batteries test within their rated capacity.I hope you find this information helpful. Reply back with the results of these checks if any further help is needed. It is a pleasure to help anyway I can.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Brand new battery. It turns over no problem but it seem like the governor wont disengage. It keeps clicking as soon. As key is o nIt is not anything to do with lack of power

If the governor actuator connected to the injection pump is making noise, check and measure your voltage with a digital voltmeter to verify that the voltage is consistent at the actuator and your fuel shutoff solenoid. Determine whether or not the noises coming from the fuel shutoff solenoid or the throttle actuator. If the voltage is consistent and you have good ground, it leans towards either a faulty solenoid or actuator.

By lack of power, I mean lack of voltage. I did not mean lack of digging power or engine power. You are speaking to a prior Nortrax John Deere lead technician.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok this is above my pay grade. I'm not a mechanic and I'm 2 hours from closest mechanic in the Colorado rockiesThe manual does not no show accurately what is in place for componentsWas hoping to get some direction before deep freeze moves in on friGuess this was the wrong place to try to trouble shoot

I understand. These machines have what is called a stepper motor or throttle actuator/governor actuator that you will see connected to the throttle control lever on the injection pump. This actuator moves the throttle position when you turn the throttle dial and the ignition switch is in the on position. This circuit also runs through the machines controller for the auto idle function. It is not uncommon for these to fail on this model machine and even the – three machines. If you have a helper, have them move the throttle dial with the ignition switch on while you watch the throttle lever position behind the injection pump to see if that actuator is moving the throttle smoothly. There is also a separate fuel shut off solenoid connected to another lever on the injection pump. It is going to likely be a problem with one of those two circuits. Your fuel shut off will prevent the engine from starting however. This is why it sounds most likely that the problem may be within the fuel shut off solenoid circuit.

I can give you advice, but I cannot make you a mechanic or provide you the proper tooling and equipment that is necessary to properly diagnose these things. The fuel shutoff solenoid would be a fairly simple fix for you if it turns out to be a problem with your fuel shutoff solenoid engagement. Have your helper turn the ignition switch on while you watch the fuel shutoff solenoid move the fuel shutoff lever. That lever on the injection pump needs to be in the fuel on position for the engine to run. If the shutoff solenoid is disengaging that lever, you can manually move the lever to get the machine to start for testing purposes.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm alone. No helpers out here. Thanks for trying

Okay, try this. If you have some mechanic's wire or some zip ties or cable ties. Try to use it to hold the fuel shutoff lever into the engine run position. Even if you have a bungee cord, that may work as well. If you are able to get the machine to run by holding the fuel shutoff lever into the run position that is connected to the solenoid, order yourself a replacement solenoid.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
On the side of the Injection pump, should I be able to move the governor lever or fuel cutoff lever manually

The fuel shut off lever you should be able to move. Check the position both ignition switch on and recheck it off. See if it is engaging and disengaging in both positions by the solenoid. The throttle you would not be able to move and would not prevent starting of the engine. The cables in those actuators have been known to fail however.