Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Ford 555e lost all motion fwd and rev. 97 Ford 555E serial…

Ford 555e lost all...

Ford 555e lost all motion fwd and rev

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

97 Ford 555E serial###-##-####

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, fixing myself. Checked fuses, have access plate off so I can reach directional control valve. I disconnected the 2 molex conn that go to the solenoids on the control valve, had 13 volts when I put shuttle shift in forward. Seems like I lost all power when I was in reverse. Hoping it's something other than that valve, maybe something with the tranny cutout button's

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Equipment Mechanic to know before I connect you?

The machine has had full power and no issues in regards ***** ***** so seems electrical, but I'm not a pro

2/6/2021
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 1 year ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hello! Let's see if we can work together and come to a satisfactory conclusion!

If you get no power to the reverse solenoid but have voltage to the forward solenoid, the shifter, and harness to it, are where you need to be looking.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I haven't checked the shifter itself, I assumed that if I had power at one connecter, it wasn't electrical and maybe something stuck in that bypass port

The bypass/cutout affects both forward and reverse, so it is not the bypass.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
By the service manual diagram, it shows 4 ports under the direction control valve, 1 fwd, 1 rev, 1 to feed the valve, and one is bypass for when you're in neut

You originally said the tractor will not move in either direction. Then you said it would move in reverse?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
By bypass I mean the hydro part not the red buttons for cutout. It just stopped when I was in reverse, I have no fwd or rev. Lift the tractor with the outrigNo tire movement at allCould be in my head, but it does seem like the rpm changes slightly when I shift to either fwd or rev, but it's minimal, or in my head because I'm searching
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I just double checked, I do have 13v at both the forward and reverse solenoids when the gear shift is moved.

OK, two wheel drive or four wheel drive?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
2wd

Have you raised both rear wheels and turned one, to see if the other turns opposite? If the other does not turn, you have a broken axle shaft.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have not tried that. Will go out to shop and try it.

OK>

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Tires turned hard and opposite felt like drivetrain is all together

OK< so axle and rear end is ok, you do have the transmission in one of the range gears?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
2nd

Maybe the declutch (bypass) is stuck open?

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok that makes sense because I'm pretty sure I hit the red button as I was backing up and that was it.Might be easier to call you to discuss? I don't mind paying the extra $
Phone call session started

Thans!