Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I installed a new starter and when I reconnect the battery,

I installed a new...

I installed a new starter and when I reconnect the battery, the starter spins even though the key is in the off position. It does not engage the engine, but just spins freely.

Mechanic's Assistant: When you turn the key, do you get a single loud click, or a series of rapid ones?

The key does not seem to affect it.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

It's a Michigan 125B loader for snow removal.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I replaced the ignition switch, removing the wires from one post on the old switch at a time to make sure they all went onto the correct post on the new switch. After this, the ignition solenoid would click on, but the old starter did not engage. A friend tested the old starter and said that was my problem, so I installed a new starter.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?

I don't think so.

2/5/2021
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 1 year ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hello! Let's see if we can work together and come to a satisfactory conclusion!

The switch wire from the key has to go on the single terminal of the solenoid for start, all the other wires go with the battery cable on the large post of the starter. Can you attach a picture?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Unfortunately I did not get a good picture of that wire. I am at work now and not near the loader.On the solenoid is the + from the battery, a #10 to the alternator and a #10 to the key fir accessory power. The smaller post has one #14 to the ignition "st" post that passes through a neutral safety switch. The final smaller post has a factory installed jumper to the starter.On the starter is the other end of that jumper and a ground to the frame about a foot away.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The trigger post is hidden beneath the hot post in this picture and the white #14 you see loops around to that post. The other white that is floating us the original ignition trigger. Whatever went wrong toasted that wire so I ran a new one in case it is burned through somewhere.

Solenoid is remote from the starter motor, So solenoid would have two large posts, one with the battery cable and other power wires, the second large post should be going to the starter motor terminal, If you have two small terminals on the solenoid, one would need to be ground, if only a three-wire solenoid, the solenoid mounting is the ground. When the solenoid closes, only then it sends power to the wire to the starter motor.

The solenoid has to be energized for the starter motor to turn. Wiring to solenoid has to be the problem.

I'm sending, just not updating!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
A friend said to tap it with a hammer in case something got frozen during transportation. Is that likely?

I'm digesting this, where does the loose white wire go? Never tap on a starter, it may be one with internal magnets, and can break the magnets,

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Do you have the starter number? Detroit or Cummins engine?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The loose wire went to the neutral start switch then to the ignition. It is disconnected at all of those places. I left it because it's in the same cable with the red #10 for accessory power.Detroit. I can call later, but I'm at work now and have to pick up my kids after work. It will likely be an hour and a half before I get to the loader.

So the switch wire is not where it can be seen. We don't need call.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
When I get home I'll get a picture from underneath showing the switch wire.

The solenoid is not what I would have expected.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It looks exactly like the old one, but I couldn't find any markings on the old one to tell me if it is an exact match.

OK< I'm going to do a little research!.

Is this a 24 volt starter or just 12 volts?

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-35fn7u8n1i/images/stencil/1280x1280/products/102922/187265/api0bwsl0__36700.1602035233.jpg?c=2

Does it have the brass plate on the bottom terminal, like the one above?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
24vI'll have to look, but I think there is only 1 large terminal on the solenoid.

I just googled Clark 125B starter and that came up.

Have you swapped sides on the solenoid with the switch wire and the black ground jumper?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No. I thought about it, but wasn't sure if I might damage it.

Somethings not right on the solenoid.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
You were right. There is another large post with a brass connection to the starter.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Like I wired it wrong or it came damaged from the factory?

Looks like it is wired right, If you remove the black jumper, starter does starter still engage?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you, Curtis. I appreciate your help. It is cranking now.All I did was lift the white wire and connect the battery to test a theory that my ignition switch was sending a signal even in the off position. When I landed the white wire again - on the same post - it did not start spinning! I ran to the cab, turned the key, and it turned over properly.Perhaps the solenoid was frozen or had some debris blocking proper function, I don't know. It did warm up considerably over the past two days.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It cranked over last night!Wired exactly as it was when I installed it, now it works.

Good job! Thanks for the update!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your research, advice and encouragement.First time use of this service and I am very pleased. I gave you 5 stars and a tip. I was pretty sure I had wired it correctly, but having your professional confirmation helped keep my sanity intact.

Thanks, ***** *****!