Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a 272B skid steer and 4 months ago it quit running…

I have a 272B...

I have a 272B skid steer and 4 months ago it quit running and threw the mismatched engine hp code. Called the local Cat dealer and they came out and said it was the fuse and the solenoid. Changed it and it ran for 4 months and now the same problem.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Cat0272DPB5X01089 model: 272D

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Construction Mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that i know

1/25/2021
Mechanic: Wayne, Journeyman replied 1 year ago
Wayne, Journeyman

Hi, I'm Wayne.

I'll be assisting you with this issue today.

Thank you for coming to Just Answer

Your Question is as important to us as it is to you.

I am sorry to hear you are having this issue.

I go offline between 3-4 Pm CST. M-F

Weekend 2-3 pm CST for the day.

• Did you check the fuses again?
  • What solenoid? fuel shutoff?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
check fuse and replaced it Cat dealer changed the fuse and power relay for the ECM fuse popped as soon as I turned key on

Thank you for the response.

Remove the wire from the fuel shutoff solenoid if you have an external one, and see if it pops again.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will try that after work, i did put a 30 amp fuse in it yesterday (it takes a 20) and it fired up for about 10 seconds if that tells you anything. I was trying to get it out of the drive way. I will try disconnecting the fuel shutoff solenoid.

Yes, sounds as if the solenoid is the issue.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have not been able to get over there and disconnect the fuel shut off solenoid yet. Hopefully after work today.

Morning,

Ok, that is fine........

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Un plugged the fuel shutoff and yes it blew the fuse

Morning,

What fuse is blowing/ the ECM fuse?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
sir the 20 amp ECM fuse

Thank you

OK, sorry to say the issue is in the ECM, that needs to be tested.

You can remove it from the machine and send it in.

Wayne, Journeyman