Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Getting a code on my 2006 cat 924g. Just hold I am getting…

Customer Question
Hi, getting a code...

Hi, getting a code on my 2006 cat 924g

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Ok, just hold I am getting that

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Cat0924GCDDA00585

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Construction Mechanic to know before I connect you?

It not going in gear forward but will go in reverse

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
HiHello
1/23/2021
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 1 year ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

Hey, sorry to hear you are having these problems. I know that can be frustrating. Hopefully, we can get you back to work quickly. I see no one could help you earlier, and I hope this is not too late to be helpful. Please note that I am not set up for phone calls, you can ignore the site pop-ups. We can post to this chat as much as you like to work through this issue. All experts are not employees, and we work from home in our spare time to answer questions.

---

What are the codes you see?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
036 081 codes

Ok, that is the prefix for the ECMs. What is the rest of the code?

You have engine ECM codes and machine ECM codes.

The displays are used to show active diagnostic codes and logged diagnostic codes. The MID is shown on the left display. The CID and the FMI are shown on the right display. When a diagnostic code is active, the letter "A" is shown in the left display. When a diagnostic code is inactive, only the code is shown. Each code is shown for several seconds. Then, the display will show the next code. After all the codes are shown, "---" will appear. The display will then cycle through all the codes again.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No codes showing nowBut still wont go in gear

Power down the machine and turn off the master. Cycle all the transmission controls to verify both controls are in neutral and the parking brake is set. Then power the machine up and start the engine.

Verify the transmission lockout switch is not on and the brake pedal is completely released and not sticking applied.

Then, only use the column control to work through each speed and then both directions. Watch the display to see if the indicator will reflect the setting of the column transmission control.

Next, place the column shifter in neutral and try using the lift lever direction shift switch while monitoring the display as before.

Then check the display again for codes.

Diagnostic codes can be displayed on the instrument panel. The codes can be viewed when the panel is in the service mode. To enter the service mode, begin with the key switch in the OFF position. Cycle the key switch three times within ten seconds. Then, leave the key in the ON position.

When a diagnostic code is active, the letter "A" is shown in the left display. When a diagnostic code is inactive, only the code is shown. Each code is shown for several seconds. Then, the display will show the next code. After all the codes are shown, "---" will appear. The display will then cycle through all the codes again. To exit the service mode, turn the key to the OFF position for five seconds.

NOTE: Also verify the parking brake light is off when the parking brake is released.

Forgot to add that earlier. You may engage the transmission by shifting it quickly twice in the same direction. This is a parking brake override in case of a failure.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Here's the codesNow it won't startNot sure but, it don't think it's in neutral to let me start itI can see the neutral symbol in the dash but when I flick the switch it do t change in the dashMeaning that it won't show forward or reverse

Are you posting the codes?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
these are the codes that's showing

I don't see any codes.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
03,036168410

None of these codes are related to this issue unless you mean the engine is cranking but does not run.
The transmission speed sensor will only effect the auto-shift feature.

###-##-####
MID 081 CID 0674 FMI 02
This diagnostic code is associated with the speed sensor (No. 1) for intermediate speed. The FMI 02 means that the ECM has determined that the signal frequency or the signal pulse width is not within the expected range.

036017402,
036034202,
If both of the following diagnostic codes are active, then the fuel injection pump has suffered a complete failure of the electrical supply:

0174-02
0342-02
Both of the diagnostic codes will be active if there has been a communication fault between the Electronic Control Module (ECM) and the CAN A data link for the fuel injection pump. When only one of the diagnostic codes is active there is not a fault with the electrical supply for the fuel injection pump.

If the ECM has detected diagnostic code 0174-02 only, then one of the following conditions has been detected:

The fuel temperature signal is erratic.
The fuel temperature signal is intermittent.
System Response:

The ECM will log the diagnostic code. The diagnostic code may be viewed on the electronic service tool. The ECM logs the diagnostic code only if the engine is running.

Possible Performance Effect:

The engine may shut down.
The engine will have low power.

###-##-####
CID 0100 FMI 03
Conditions Which Generate This Code:

The Electronic Control Module (ECM) detects the following conditions:

The signal voltage from the engine oil pressure sensor is greater than 4.95 Volts DC for more than eight seconds.
The ECM has been powered for at least two seconds.
The engine is not running or the engine coolant temperature is greater than 38 °C (100 °F).
System Response:

The ECM will log the diagnostic code. If equipped, the warning lamp will come on. The ECM will set data for engine oil pressure to the default value.

Note: The engine oil pressure that is displayed on the electronic service tool is the default value for engine oil pressure. The default engine oil pressure is 600 kPa (87 psi). The electronic service tool will display "Voltage Above Normal" on the status screens.

Possible Performance Effect:

None

###-##-####
CID 1684 FMI 10
Conditions Which Generate This Code:

The Electronic Control Module (ECM) detects one of the following improper responses from the fuel injection pump.

An open circuit
A wire shorted high.
A wire shorted low.
The ECM will log the diagnostic code. The diagnostic code may be viewed on the electronic service tool.

System Response:

The engine may shut down while the diagnostic code is active. Also, the engine may not start while the diagnostic code is active.

Do you have full battery power at the batteries and to the fuses? 24 volts.

Has this been a recent problem?

Any other recent repairs?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
full battery power, it will start but won't go into any gearThe auto shift feature is not working

Sorry for the late reply, I had to step out for a few minutes.

If the remote shifter switch (on the loader control handle) has an issue, it can knock out the system.

Try this test.

Remove the dash and locate a four-pin connector that has three wires on one side and four wires on the other side. The wire colors should be green, yellow, orange, and black. Disconnect the three-wire harness and install a jumper wire in pins 3 and 4 of the four-pin connector. This connects the ground of the four-pin connector to neutral and bypasses the remote shift switch. (Orange and black wires)

If this correct the problem, the switch or the harness to the remote shift switch is damaged.