Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a cat 289D skid steer it has started to consume a…

Hi I have a cat...
Hi I have a cat 289D skid steer it has started to consume a half a gallon of oil about every three days. It is not putting out a lot of blue smoke just periodically. I am more familiar with older Diesel engines the crank case does not seem to be pressurizing the breather tube hooks up to a module I am not familiar with going to need Diane help any suggestions
1/22/2021
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 1 year ago
Dan, Technician

Hi, My name is***** will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here. Professionals are not employees of the site but users of the site and help on here as time allows depending on their daily schedule.Take a very close look to see if there are any external leaks anywhere. If you find no external leaks whatsoever, check inside your cooling system for any signs of sludge that would indicate oil getting into the cooling system and a failed oil cooler. If this checks out okay, verify whether or not oil is actually burning out the exhaust. Caterpillar normally doesn't do a compression test but a blow-by test. I recommend having your engine blow-by tested and confirm whether or not you have excessive blow-by indicating the need for overhaul. Check your air intake piping for any loose connections that may possibly have allowed dust to get sucked into your engine. Also check for any signs of fuel smell within the crankcase oil that would flag a potential fuel dilution problem. A fuel dilution problem would eventually lead to a scuffed cylinder. The final result is going to be based on the results of these checks. Reply back with the results of these checks of any further help is needed. It is a pleasure to help anyway I can.

Dan, Technician