Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a 450E dozer. My right side steering has gone out. Im…

I have a 450E...

I have a 450E dozer.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Construction Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

My right side steering has gone out. Im thinking its the cylinder under the seat but not sure

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

If possible, yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Construction Mechanic to know before I connect you?

Connect me

Answered in 2 days by:
1/18/2021
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 1 year ago
Dan, Technician

Hi, My name is***** will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here. Professionals are not employees of the site but users of the site and help on here as time allows depending on their daily schedule.

The first thing you want to do is check your final drive oil level and condition on both sides. Look for any signs of metal chunks or debris that would flag or confirm internal mechanical failure within your final drive requiring disassembly of the final drive for further inspection for rebuild or repair. If all of this checks good and the problem is only isolated to one side, it's an indication of a steering clutch failure. If you look above the sprocket on the final drive housing you will see a triangle cover with three bolts. Remove that cover and use a threaded bolt and washer to thread into the drive pinion for your final drive in order to grab a hold of it and remove it from the splines. Before doing this, check to see if that drive pinion is turning when you try to engage travel on the track that's not working. If it is not, remove the pinion and check to see if you can see your steering clutch splines trying to move. This would be an indication of a faulty steering clutch on that side. You would replace both sides at the same time when you repair your steering clutches and brakes. Reply back with the results of these checks if any further help is needed. It is a pleasure to help anyway I can.

Dan, Technician