Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Does a cat 908 loader have a forward reverse control unit.

Customer Question
Does a cat 908...

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Construction Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

Does a cat 908 loader have a forward reverse control box.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. Have checked electrical circuit.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Construction Mechanic to know before I connect you?

When switch to forward neutral light goes out but no indicator light no gear. When switch to reverse indicator light on for a second goes out reverse beeper relay clicks neutral light blinks. no gear.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
1/13/2021
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 1 year ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

Hey, sorry to hear you are having these problems. I know that can be frustrating. Hopefully, we can get you back to work quickly. I see no one could help you earlier, and I hope this is not too late to be helpful. Please note that I am not set up for phone calls, you can ignore the site pop-ups. We can post to this chat as much as you like to work through this issue. All experts are not employees, and we work from home in our spare time to answer questions.

---

Please post the complete machine serial number (PIN) so I can verify the machine configuration.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Cjs22423

The number posted is actually the engine serial number. Your machine serial number is *****

The direction of the machine is controlled by the direction control switch that is located in the cab on the pilot valve (joystick). The speed of the machine is controlled by the accelerator pedal. If the machine is equipped with a creeper control, the speed of the machine can also be controlled by the creeper control.

The machine will shift to NEUTRAL, if the parking brake lever is engaged and the direction control switch is in the FORWARD position or in the REVERSE position. In order to get the machine to move, the direction control switch must be moved to NEUTRAL and the parking brake must be disengaged. Then, the direction control switch must be moved to the desired direction.

It does have the switch and a controller mounted under the right console near the fuse panel. It appears to be a different version used when the machine has a third hydraulic function (auxiliary)

Troubleshooting - Initial Procedure

Start troubleshooting the hydrostatic transmission control system by observing the machine operation and the diagnostic indicator (flashing neutral lamp).

This troubleshooting procedure is different due to the diagnostic capability of the control system.

If ANY fault occurs with the control module or system components the Neutral Lamp (right side of steering console) will flash.

NOTE: The transmission control is unlikely to fail. Access to the transmission control and connector is difficult. This troubleshooting guide is written to minimize accessing the transmission control and connector as much as possible.

NOTE: Avoid removing the TOP of the right side console. It is easy to remove but DIFFICULT to install. If you remove the top take the time to label the nine connectors that must be removed from the switches to gain access to the transmission control.

Symptom (Will NOT Go Into Gear) Neutral Lamp Flashing.

The transmission control will NOT engage the direction solenoids if the parking brake is ENGAGED. When the parking brake input (connector contact 42) is open the parking brake is ENGAGED. When the parking brake input (connector contact 42) is grounded the parking brake is DISENGAGED.

1. CHECK PARKING BRAKE - Check to see if the parking brake is DISENGAGED and the parking brake lamp is ON.

* Check switch adjustment. Remove parking brake cover to gain access to parking brake switch. With parking brake DISENGAGED. Measure voltage between the normally open (NO) pin (765-BR) and the common pin (201-BK). Voltage should be 0V.

* If operation is correct (parking brake lamp goes OFF) the transmission control and harness are correct. The parking brake switch is not the source of the problem.

* If operation is NOT correct. Go to Step 2.

2. Reapply parking brake. Measure voltage between the normally open (NO) pin (765-BR) and the common pin (201-BK). Voltage should measure 9.5V±0.5.

* If operation is correct the transmission control, parking brake switch, and harness are correct. The parking brake switch is not the source of the problem.

* If operation is NOT correct. Go to Step 3.

3. Check parking brake switch operation.

* If operation is correct the transmission control, parking brake switch, and harness are correct. The parking brake switch is not the source of the problem. Go to Step 4.

* If operation is NOT correct. Repair or replace switch. Repair or replace harness. Repair or replace ground.

4. CHECK FNR SWITCH - See FNR switch test charts located earlier in this text.

* If operation is correct. Go to Step 5.

* If operation is NOT correct. Replace FNR switch.

5. CHECK DIRECTION SOLENOIDS - Disconnect the direction solenoid connector. There is one four pin connector for both solenoids. The solenoids are located on the hystat pump body. Measure the voltage (on the harness) between pins 1 and 2 (Forward). The voltage should be 4.5V±0.5. Measure the voltage (on the harness) between pins 3 and 4 (Reverse). The voltage should be 4.5V±0.5.

* If the voltage is correct. Go to Step 6.

* If the voltage is NOT correct. Repair or replace the harness. See Step 7.

6. CHECK DIRECTION SOLENOID RESISTANCE - Measure between pins 1 and 2 (Forward). The resistance should be 5 ± 2 ohms. Measure between pins 3 and 4 (Reverse). The resistance should be 5 ± 2 ohms.

* If resistance is correct. Go to Step 7.

* If resistance is NOT correct. Replace the appropriate direction solenoid.

7. NOTE: If the FNR indicator lamps that light up the direction arrows and neutral lamp (located on the right side of the dash) are shorted to ground. The control may think the direction solenoids are shorted. These lamps are in parallel with the solenoids. The chance of this occurring is very rare. This short would have to sink in excess of 4.5A. This has NOT occurred in testing or in the field.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'll check my voltage and ohm's and get back.

Ok, thanks. Glad to help.

---

Thank you for using JustAnswer, if you do need further help please let me know.

If you are satisfied with my service, please take a moment to provide a rating.

Thanks again, Don

CATMASTERTECH