Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a Mustang mtl16 that is having issues starting. it…

Customer Question
I have a Mustang...

I have a Mustang mtl16 that is having issues starting. it cranks fine, but no smoke during cranking. crack the injectors and no fuel. But then it will start and run absolutely perfect until shut off again. The inline fuel pump was replaced.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

MTL16 21305214

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Construction Mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that i know of

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
1/10/2021
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 1 year ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hello! Let's see if we can work together and come to a satisfactory conclusion!

What does it have for a fuel shutoff solenoid? The solenoid is sticking, or the link that should move with the solenoid inside the pump is sticking. With the pump already replaced, more likely the solenoid is not being energized for start.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I honestly do not know what it has or where or what to even look for

What is the engine make and model? Usually on the left end of the injection pump body.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I dont have that information. The machine is not here and it will be next weekend before I can get to it. Just was hoping there was a quick simple fix. If not I guess I will have to get it towed to a shop somewhereThe person I bought it from told me it is a yanmar engine if that helps

Then that is where the fuel solenod is, on the left end of the injection pump. It will have three wires in the harness. One should have power when the key is on, the other should have power only when starter is engaged, and the third is common.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Makes sense... I have been having alot of issues with electric connections on the machine.Is this a part that can be easily changed?

Yes, two 10mm headed screws hold it in place.

Would look similar to this.

https://www.amazon.com/Aftermarket-Shutdown-Solenoid-119233-77932-Tractor/dp/B01N0R479K