Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a cat d3 from the 70s. I’m looking for information on…

Customer Question
I have a cat...

I have a cat d3 from the 70s. I’m looking for information on adjusting the brakes. It seems to work well but have to really push the pedal hard for the right track. Any help?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

It’s just a Cat d3 with no letter

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Equipment Mechanic to know before I connect you?

79u3976

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok
12/31/2020
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 1 year ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

If the pedals do not touch the firewall, the brake adjustment is ok.

The issue is more like a steering clutch valve is damaged and needs repair.

The steering clutch must release at the half-way point of travel. A simple check would be to push a load and then press a pedal half-way to see if the track stops pulling. Then try the other side for comparison.

If you find this is the issue. The steering clutch valves need to be removed and the bearings in the stem and cam assembly replaced. Along with any other worn parts.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The clutches seem to be fine at half pedal. It's just to lock the right track really have to push it more that the left track. Like put a little more push but it still locks the track up

Many of the older machines ran dry clutches. If the compartment collects too much oil the brake bands won't hold as good as they should.

Have you checked the compartments for water or oil?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No yet, figured I would get all the information I could first.
Do you have any diagrams of any sort.
I'm fairly mechanical inclined but never been into a dozer drive line

Info is limited for these old machines.

What are you looking for?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Any that shows the break down of the bakes and how all the parts go. Or is there a place I can get a service manual cheep
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you muchI'm going to check it out tomorrow. Good chance I might be messaging you back if that's ok

Thanks, ***** ***** be fine.

Thank you for using JustAnswer, if you do need further help please let me know.

If you are satisfied with my service, please take a moment to provide a rating.

Thanks again, Don

CATMASTERTECH

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello sirSo back to this car d3I'm looking to put all new fluid and filterCan you tell me what fluid to use and how muchLike hydro and in the lower Differential

The old standard is 30W non detergent engine oil for all the compartments except the hydraulic tank and final drives.

Today that oil is hard to find so we are using the regular 15W40 diesel engine oil for the engine.

The transmission will use a CAT TDTO 30W or a TO-4 30W spec equivalent.

The bevel gear compartment will use the same TDTO 30W or TO-4 spec 30W oil.

The Final drives use a CAT TDTO 50W or 60W, or a TO-4 50W or 60W with gear oil additives.

The hydraulic is always CAT HYDO 10W or a AW-32 spec oil. (Don't use AW-48 unless you are in a hot climate.)

The capacities are below.

Engine 3 gallons

Transmission 4.5 gallons

Bevel gear 4 gallons

Final Drive (each) 2.5 gallons

Cooling System 6 gallons

Hydraulic System 8 gallons

Fuel Tank 30 gallons.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you

You're welcome! Glad I could help.

Thanks again, Don

CATMASTERTECH