Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Jcb 520 telehandler no start, 520-50, Yes Replaced battery.

Jcb 520 telehandler no...

Jcb 520 telehandler no start

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

520-50

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes Replaced battery. Cleaned connections. Visually checked all fuses. Lights are strong and bright

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Equipment Mechanic to know before I connect you?

Cant think of anything

12/29/2020
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 1 year ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hello! Let's see if we can work together and come to a satisfactory conclusion!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok

So the engine is not spinning? Is the neutral switch working? If you follow the positive cable to the starter and jump the switch wire to the cable, will the engine spin? Parking brake applied?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Would love to jump the solenoid but I can’t see it from the top or the bottom

Check the park brake switch, and the neutral switch, either will keep the starter from working.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We are in a snowstorm and it is sitting in the middle of my yardHave tried both of those

What else safety switch would it have? If not safety switch, then the starter or key switch.??

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
With key held in start position I have moved shuttle and park switch. Sound changes so I assume they are functioning properly

Have you checked the voltage at the battery when you turn the key to start? If the voltage is dropping to 9 volts, you have a starter problem.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have notIt would take me some time to do that before I could respond againStill there?

OK> I'm retired and have lots of time.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Drops to around 6Is this a test that can be used on most 12 volt systems or just a JCB thing?Still with me?

Test will work on anything.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Good to know. You are fairly certain it's the starter then?

If the voltage drops when you turn the key to start!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Different question? The axle u joints not the drive live u joints. Are they greaseable?

Yes.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can never seem to see any zirks

Holes may be plugged, and have to be removed.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Holes?

Where the zerks would be.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Be like one zirk per wheel?

One at each ujoint.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Finally got it off. Bendix pops but no spin

So it seems starter is bad.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Just went and picked up new one. Old one tested ok. Won't put back in til tomorrow

OK< Be sure you have at least 12.5 volts to the starter cable.

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Running again. Thanks for the help

Good job!