Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Have a 2016 T595. Having intermittent track and hydraulic…

Have a 2016 T595...

Have a 2016 T595. Having intermittent track and hydraulic lock up. Codes thrown is only for right thumb toggle switch not in neutral. Replaced the arm bar sensor and no luck.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Bobcat T595 B3NK11050

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes we are doing repairs ourself. Own 3 bobcats currently, many others in the past. Parking brake switch, all filters, hydraulic vent cap, and arm bar sensor

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Construction Mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that we know of. Only intermittently and no codes.

12/27/2020
Mechanic: Fieldtech59, Shop manager replied 1 year ago
Fieldtech59
Fieldtech59, Shop manager

Greetings, are you hearing three short beeps from the alarm the moment it locks up?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No alarms at allThe only code is for the gloplugs and for the toggle switch not in neutral

Is the alarm working? You should hear one long beep from the alarm when you power up the ignition to start it

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it works

Ok, just wanted to confirm as that alarm is how the main controller communicates with you. If you're getting a code for the thumb switch not in neutral on the right drive stick that will cause problems. Honestly, I can't recall for certain if it will cause the traction lock to engage and the BICS valve to lock, but it is possible. Typically it's a faulty switch and the switch isn't sold separately, you have to replace the handle assembly with all the switches in it. I don't think your glow plug code would be causing an issue with the traction lock or BICS valve.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We originally thought it was the parking brake switch but we can't get anything from Bobcat here in the city, everything is out of stock or on back order (plus they don't know what they are doing). We took one out of another loader, but didn't fix it. We ordered a parking switch but since it's backordered, they offered to take a panel out of one at the dealership and we could use that in the meantime.
Do you know where the BICS valve is located?
I'll reply back in a few minutes, eating supper right now
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry, husband told me wrong. It's the left toggle switch in neutral, for that code.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
After washing and cleaning it up. Started it, 3 short beeps were heard

Ok, we need to clarify something about Bobcat operation, just so I know we're on the same page. On Bobcat machines the main controller monitors pretty much everything electrical as well as has sensors on various components, such as flywheel sensor, hydraulic charge pressure sensor, etc, to monitor pretty much all operations of the machine. Likewise, the main controller actually "controls" various components, such a auxiliary hydraulic, BICS lock valves, parking brake, etc. The alarm is how the main controller communicates with you. When you first power up the machine you should hear one long beep from the alarm. This is the main controller doing a system test and also lets you know the alarm is working. If at any time during operation of the machine you hear three short beeps from the alarm, that's the main controller telling you it's seeing a fault. At that moment, don't do anything else and don't shut the machine down. Instead, right then, check your codes. Those three beeps is telling you to immediately check for active codes that caused the alert. Bobcat machines only work with active "right now" codes, they do not "store" codes like automotive computers do. Once you shut down the ignition, or the problem simply goes away, the codes wipe clean.

The BICS hydraulic lock valve is located on the main control valve. I don't have a pic of a T595 valve, but I'm attaching a pic of a common Bobcat main control valve, should be somewhat similar in layout. The BICS hydraulic lock valve has an orange arrow pointing to it, the spool lock solenoids have red arrows pointing to them. And this is a standard control valve, not Advanced Hand Control or Selectable Joystick Control.

If something is causing the parking brake to lock and the BICS lock valve to lock during operation you should be hearing those three short beeps. It wouldn't be the parking brake circuit as that would only lock the parking brake, not the BICS lock valves. If you're not getting three short beeps when it locks down, that sounds like you have a fault with your main controller.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Gloplug signal fault was the only code thrown, but the machine worked this time.
Would a code be thrown if the BICS valve was bad. It doesn't throw any plugs when it locks up and the tracks won't moveSometimes tracks are locked, sometimes hydraulics sometimes both, with no codes. Other times we get in, throws a code for gloplugs and works fine

The main controller will notice if any of the solenoid valve have an open circuit, short to ground, anything like that, and they with give a code for those conditions. I can't say for sure, but when I've had machines that are doing multiple weird things like that, but it's not giving codes that make sense, codes related to something that would lock down the parking brake and BICS valve, then it's typically a faulty main controller. I think it would be best for a Bobcat tech to check that machine, only Bobcat techs can plug into the main controller and do diagnostics of them as their software is proprietary to Bobcat techs only.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We already have one at Bobcat, just trying to figure out problems with this one before we take it in. We appreciate all your help and time today. Have a good evening and Happy New Year!

Best wishes to you and yours, I hope you get it sorted out. Cheers

Fieldtech59
Fieldtech59, Shop manager