Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a 743b that the bucket only goes up and tilts

Customer Question
down.the right lever “stick” move...
I have a 743b that the bucket only goes up and tilts down.the right lever “stick” move back and front but not to the side
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
12/15/2020
Mechanic: Fieldtech59, Shop manager replied 1 year ago
Fieldtech59
Fieldtech59, Shop manager

Greetings, sorry, but I can only give you a half answer, that is, I haven't worked on a 743B machine for nearly 20 years and my memory is vague, but what I do recall for certain, on those machines, that right drive stick, you push it to your right to engage auxiliary hydraulics, pull it to your left to release (disengage) auxiliary hydraulics, and from what you describe, lift goes up and bucket tilts down, for sure your auxiliary hydraulics are engaged, lift up and bucket down is the typical result. That's where my half answer comes in, my memory is so vague on those machines that I can't recall how that linkage works the valve to control auxiliary hydraulics and what you need to do to remedy, but that's what's causing your problem.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Good morning I figured that much out I’m trying to see what would be the easiest way to disengage it. If I take the rod loose from the right stick can I do something to get it to release?

Sorry for the delay in reply, I'm too busy at work during the day to log in here and after work I had to replace a water pump on a T190 for someone else. I've got a manual on the 743B and wouldn't ya know it, it doesn't go into any detail at all about working on the main control valve, don't help us a dang bit! The most likely cause of the problem is in the backside of the auxiliary spool of the control valve. There's three spool in the control valve, one for lift, one for bucket tilt and one for auxiliary circuit. I'm pretty sure the auxiliary spool is the one on the bottom. Pretty easy to confirm by checking which on has the linkage from the drive lever connected to it. It's been years since I've worked on a 743B, but one thing I recall about those machines is that main control valve is a PITA to work on. To dang much trouble and work to pull it from the machine to repair it, and equally a challenge to repair it mounted in the frame, but I've done it before, have to reach in from the engine compartment to remove the spool centering spring caps on the backside of the valve. I think that's where you're going to find your problem if you don't find any issues with the linkage. Originally the lift and auxiliary spool caps have plastic caps on them, they may have disappeared with age. On the lift spool and auxiliary spool caps you'll notice a snap ring on the end of the cap. You need to remove the snap ring on the auxiliary spool cap, then remove the screws that retain the cap to the control valve body. Gently work the cap to see if it will come off, may need some generous spray lube. If you get the cap off, see if you now have some movement of the spool. If it will move, most likely the detent device that's attached to the spool has got moisture and corrosion inside of it causing it to stick, pretty common problem on one of those vintage machines, auxiliary doesn't get used often, some corrosion happens inside that detent device, then one day someone pops the auxiliary engaged and next thing you know it's stuck.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It is the bottom one. I will pull the cap off tomorrow and check it. Will there be any pressure I need to worry about?

Won't be any pressure with engine not running. All you want to do is see if there's slight free movement, likely it will only move toward the rear of the machine, but not much. If the spool will move with the cap off you'll have to pull the spool out of the valve body by disconnecting the linkage at the front of the spool and probably the spool dust boot and pull the spool rearward from the valve body. You'll need to drain your hydraulic tank as it's higher than the valve body or you'll dump all your oil out of that open hole in the valve body. Before I didn't all that I'd drown that detent device on the end of the spool and see if I can get it to pop loose. Let me know what you find.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I took the Clip off it pushed in the right arm pop back in to place but I wasn’t able to push it far enough so I could get the clip back on the cap so I loosed the rod and was able to put the clip in. I put a 4/8 bolt on the lever so it won’t go in to aux Position I left the rod loose and tried it but it’s still doing the same thing I also noticed the rod is up against the hose for the drive motor

Hmm, I get what you're saying, but I'm not certain even after that procedure that the auxiliary spool is correctly in the off position, I just can't say for sure. I just know on Bobcat machines that if the auxiliary spool is shifted, and no attachment is hooked to the couplers (hydraulic dead end) it will make the loader arms and bucket do weird stuff. We need to confirm that aux spool is in the off position.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What’s the best way to do that

That's my problem, it's been so many years since I've worked on that machine my memory is too vague, would most help if I were there looking at it, but that ain't gonna happen. And the manual is not help. Grrrr. Even with lapse of memory, I still think you're going to have to pull that spool and work on that detent device, I'm thinking that gizmo is what's causing your problem, I've seen it before.