Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a cat 941b linkage problem. I don't know the serial #

Customer Question
I have a cat...

I have a cat 941b linkage problem

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

I don't know the serial #

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

1975 941 b cat

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Equipment Mechanic to know before I connect you?

I want to know y it goes in gear sometimes and not

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
11/22/2020
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 2 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

Often this is due to wear in the linkage or pressure control valve.

If the linkage does not return the selector valve back to neutral properly, the safety valve can prevent it engaging the transmission clutches.

If the engine is started when the selector lever is in any position but NEUTRAL, oil flows to both ends of the differential and safety valve spool. The spring force holds the valve spool to the right. In this position, the oil flow to the directional clutches is blocked and the machine will not move. When the selector lever is moved to the NEUTRAL position, the oil at the spring end of the differential and safety valve is opened to drain. The oil pressure then overcomes the spring force, the spool moves to the left and the controls are ready for a clutch fill and modulation cycle as soon as the selector lever is moved to a speed position.

When the safety valve has worn out, this can happen at any time.

Parts are hard to find and may not be available. I don't know of any repair process for this if you cannot locate a new valve. The part number is;

7S4621 PRESSURE CONTROL VALVE GROUP
IF TRANSMISSION IS SERIALIZED USE TRANSMISSION SERIAL NO. OTHERWISE USE VEHICLE SERIAL NO. Serial No.
80H5703 to 80H6986 inclusive. Transmission Serial No. 4DA1-Up. Part of 2P9185 Transmission Hydraulic

Is there a way to fix that without taking out the transmission? As I think it might be the valve

Yes, most CAT transmission can have the control valves removed without removing the transmission. It is mounted to the top of the transmission and under one cover.

The difficult part is making room to reach the cover in a track type loader. Space is limited and that may require removing part of the seat frame, floor frames and pedal groups to access the top of the transmission.