Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I’ve got a 1999 cat 953c with a 3116. It has air in the fuel…

Customer Question
I’ve got a 1999...

I’ve got a 1999 cat 953c with a 3116. It has air in the fuel system. It appears I’d have to remove the valve cover to get the the injector lines. Is there another way to bleed the system?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

2ZNO2865

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Equipment Mechanic to know before I connect you?

4TF54967 serial number

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
11/21/2020
Mechanic: Mike Mcmillan, Shop Foreman/Traige Tech replied 2 years ago
Mike Mcmillan
Mike Mcmillan, Shop Foreman/Traige Tech

Hi I’m Mike and I am a technician here on Just Answer and I hope you are having a great day, and will do my very best to get you back up and running as soon as possible and will answer any questions you may have . You will be prompted to accept a phone service, I personally do not offer this but you are welcome to take this and I or another technician will call . I am sorry that you are having issues and I know that this can be frustrating. Please understand that I am here to help. I have scattered availability during the day in the week but I am available most weekends. I am a user of this site just like you and use it on my spare time away from work and family to help people like yourself out. Please allow me a moment to look over your question and I will be right back with you. Thanks,

On the 3116 this has an integrated fuel supply rail that is built into the head. If this unit is not equipped with the hand primer pump the best way of getting it to prime is by supplying about 5 psi of pressure to the fuel tanks in order to help lift fuel to the system. Make sure the filer(s) are full and stay full as well. Then the air will work out of the system while someone is cranking it. We use a bleeder ball which helps to push the air out of the system and out of the return in order to bleed them fast. I hope this helps with your issue. Please let me know if you have any follow up questions on this. Thank you

We've tried pumping it with the hand primer and pressuring the tank and can't get it to stay running

Are the filters still full? Are you getting any combustion out of the return like an injector leaking?

I have to keep refilling the filters they aren't staying full. The original problem started I was working on a hill with the nose pointing down and only had a 1/4 tank of fuel. It started starving for fuel I was able to limp it down to flat ground but it never would pick up. It would restart and idle but not take off and then wouldn't start at all. I've added fuel and changed the filters and have had it started once since then but it quit and won't restart. I just can't get all the air out. Seems like there should be a way to bleed the lines.

You can loosen the filter on the engine when applying air to the tank. The issue is when you break open that system it causes a drain back to the tanks since there is no check valve to prevent that. It is a pain to get these bleed out sometimes. You can also loosen the line from the pump at the inlet as well to help bleed it. I would make sure you are getting a good stream of fuel from the tank to make sure you do not have a pick up issue.

I'm pretty certain it's just air. I'll keep after it. Thanks