Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

How to install Deere thumb on 35g excavator. Don’t know.

How to install Deere...

How to install Deere thumb on 35g excavator

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Don’t know

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Have not tried anything, like to get some direction before I do

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Agriculture Mechanic to know before I connect you?

Just looking for some directions on this install

Answered in 1 day by:
11/16/2020
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 2 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi, My name is***** will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and follow up with my responses. Professionals are not employees of the site but users of the site and help on here as time allows in between jobs, family,etc. Response time can vary depending on my work load each day but I will always respond back on my next available login. Feel free to respond back at anytime if for any reason we seem to get separated,for status, etc.

Are the hydraulics already plumbed and you just need to install the thumb to the machine?

Hydraulic Thumb Attachment Installation Instructions

STEP 1 – Install Bottom Mount Plate To Mini Excavator

A. POSITION THE BUCKET IN FULL CURL AND LOCATE THE MOUNTING PLATE AS SHOWN IN F2. (ALLOW 1” INCH CLEARANCE BETWEEN THE MOUNTING PLATE AND THE BUCKET.)

B. CLAMP OR TACK WELD THE MOUNTING PLATE IN PLACE. (MAKE SURE THE TACK WELD OR CLAMP IS STRONG ENOUGH TO HOLD THE MOUNTING PLATE AND THUMB IN PLACE.)

C. INSTALL THE THUMB TO THE MOUNTING PLATE

D. CHECK MOUNTING PLATE AND THUMB POSITION AS SHOWN IN F1.

E. POSITION THE THUMB 90 DEGREES TO THE FLAT PART OF THE STICK AS SHOWN IN FIGURE D2. ( THUMB MOST CONTACT BUCKET CUTTING EDGE OR TEETH). THE BUCKET MUST ONLY CONTACT THE THUMB IN THIS AREA. WHEN THUMB CONTACTS BUCKET IN ANOTHER AREA MOUNTING PLATE IS TO BE MOVED BACK ON STICK TO REMOVE CONTACT AREA.

STEP 2 – Install Cylinder Top Mount Plate

A. INSTALL CYLINDER (TOP) MOUNTING PLATE TO A COMFORTABLE WORKING POSITION AND TACK WELD IN PLACE. ( TACK WELD SHOULD HOLD MOUNT PLATE, THUMB AND CYLINDER)

B. MOVE THUMB TO MINIMUM AND MAXIMUM CYLINDER STROKE, CHECK THAT CYLINDER IS FREE AND THAT THERE IS NO CONTACT THAT COULD DAMAGE CYLINDER.

C. FINISH WELDING MOUNTING PLATES TO BOOM USING 70-18 ELECTRODE.

D. THUMB IS READY FOR USE.

We always like to advise our customers to properly test the new hydraulic thumb attachment to ensure that it is functioning properly. Once again this is a seemingly easy install for those that know how to weld however if your uncertain of your welding ability we suggest giving your local on site welder a call.

I hope you find this helpful. It is a pleasure to help any way I can.

Dan, Technician