Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a 700j deere. Tcu in cab behind seat had a mouse nest…

Customer Question
Second opinion] I have...

Second opinion] I have a 700j deere. Tcu in cab behind seat had a mouse nest on it for a few months while not in use says cal on screen. Check code light flashing on dash. Drives straight and steers fine. With engine running, the push button s on the tcu appear to do nothing. Remove tcu and had circuit board tech take it apart and test it. He showed me the buttons are functioning as they should. How do I check codes? Can this be calibrated without replacing tcu? This machine has a self exciting alternator so during warm up it does not charge. The engine must be reved to initiate charge? Could this cause tcu codes?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

It is a 700j xlt s/n T0700J X133896

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Construction Mechanic to know before I connect you?

I think that's it

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Answered in 3 days by:
11/6/2020
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 2 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi, My name is***** will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here. Professionals are not employees of the site but users of the site and help on here as time allows in between jobs, family,etc. Response time can vary depending on my work load each day but I will always respond back on my next available login. Feel free to respond back at anytime if for any reason we seem to get separated,for status, etc.

The John Deere diagnostic software would be needed in order to perform any software related updates if needed and to communicate with the controller. You can attempt recalibration on the Machine by using the procedure below. I would try that first. If unsuccessful, have your dealer test the controller.

Remove the cover from the transmission TCU which when you are sitting in the seat it is on your left side in the rear.
1 Warm up machine till transmission oil is at least 100 degrees f
2 Make a reference mark next to throttle lever is at 1500 RPMs you will need this during the cal.
3Turn Key Off
4Press and hold decelerator pedal down
Hold CAL button down on TCU and start engine
5Release CAL after engine starts your software number and machine model number will appear after this a P will appear indicating your park lever is in the up locked position
Your Check Service Code Light Will Begin Flashing
6If your software number was 600 4E will be flashing on your monitor display wait for it to stop flashing if your software is not 600 disregard this step
7Lower park lever the monitor will flash 4E wait for the 4E to stop flashing
The lever and pedals must be moved slowly trough there entire travel holding at detent or stop until monitor changes
8With engine speed control at low idle remove your foot from the decelerator slowly move the engine speed control to fast idle and hold there till 4E goes out, return throttle lever to low idle.
9The monitor will now display 267
10Press your speed control up then down the 7 will go out
11The monitor will display 26 Slowly move steer lever to the right until the detent is felt do not move past the detent into counter rotate then do the exact same thing to the left the 6 will go out
12Now just a 2 will be on the monitor move throttle control lever to the mark you made at 1500 RPM now slowly move the forward reverse lever fully forward past the detent to the mechanical stop.
13Now the monitor will display 2Lr after 15-70 seconds the left track will move aqnd stop the L will go out next in the same amount time the right track will move and the r will go out
14 Do not move lever until the return FNR to neutral light starts flashing
15When the FNR light starts flashing move the lever to neutral
16 Move engine speed control to low idle
17 If FrFr are displayed the calibration was good if not repeat calibration
For this part of the calibration you will need alot of room the tractor will will need to travel both forward and reverse at high speed with out turning I would say you will need 200feet both directions if you have a ripper you can lift it off the ground and do this test or securly block the machine up in the air if you don't have lots of room
18Move speed lever to full throttle
19 Press hold the speed control switch up for 5 seconds to ensure max speed is set
20Hold down decelerator pedal move lever to forward slowly release the decelerator both of the F's will go out when each track reaches maximum speed depress the decelerator move lever to neutral
21Move the lever to revers and slowly release the decelerator both of the r" will go out when maximum speed is reached
22Depress the decelerator and shift to neutral move engine speed control to neutral
23Press CAL on the TCU once if 1111 shows Calibration was GOOD if not repeat

Reply back with the results of these checks and suggestions if any further help is needed. It is a pleasure to help any way I can.