Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a 1987 Cat 416 backhoe that has starting issues.

I have a 1987...

I have a 1987 Cat 416 backhoe that has starting issues. Serial number is *****

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Serial number is ***** Model is 1987 Cat 416 backhoe

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. Replaced the starter as it was damaged.

10/28/2020
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 2 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hello! Let's see if we can work together and come to a satisfactory conclusion!

okay

This is the Perkins 4-236 engine? Is the engine spinning fast e ough to start? Smoke from the exhaust when cranking? No smoke, check the fuel shutoff solenoid for battery voltage with the key on.

I'm not sure which engine it is actually. I've only just started toying with this thing. it is not turning over at all at the moment. when I first got a hold of it it was driven to me on site. when I went to start it it was turning over very slowly and a foul electronic smell was happening. I found jumper cables being used at the starter because of the main starter wire was torn between the solenoid and the starter. Long story short I swapped out the starter for a new one. however now I cannot get it to turn over because when I turn on the key the instrument panel powers up, but when I turn the key to start it clicks behind the instrument panel and I lose power to everything.I'm assuming there's an electrical short. or some other malfunctioning part that has fried. what I don't understand is what is causing the power to cut out at the instrument panel. if I leave it for a minute or two and go back and turn the key back to on position, I get power back to the instrument panel. I also tried turning on the headlight and when I did it cut the power to the instrument panel.

Have you looked under dash for obvious damage, from short or rodent damage? If you jump the switch wire to the battery cable on the starter, will the engine spin? This bypasses everything and ties the battery directly to the starter.

no visible damage. there are signs of mice traffic however behind the instrument panel. I have not tried to jump the starter yet. I just wanted to see if there was some other issue that was easy to diagnosethere is a solenoid behind the instrument panel that seems to be tied into the key. maybe this was fried from trying to start it with jumper cables? it's almost like there is a safety device that doesn't allow power through the panel during a short.

sounds like there is a circuit breaker, which trips, and resets after it cools down. But that just confirms there is a short somewhere.

right. so time to chase down the wiring.

OK> I would try jumping the solenoid, just to confirm the battery, cables and starter are capable of turning the engine.

okay thanks I'll start there. I won't be able to get to that until tomorrow though

OK> I'm retired, and will be here.

Thanks!

Thank you.

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
I couldn't get the starter to turn over by jumping the solenoid, long story short the positive battery terminal had a poor connection. I swapped it off for a new fitting and everything works perfectly. must have had just enough connection to energize the dashboard, but not enough connection to power even the headlights. lesson learned. thanks for all your help

Good job! Thanks for the update.