Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a Hitachi DX40 Dozer. I cannot get it to turn. I

I have a Hitachi...

I have a Hitachi DX40 Dozer. I cannot get it to turn. I suspect I am low on transmission fluid (?) but don't know where the fill is located. I believe it may be under the seat? There is what appears to be a fill that has a cap but there is no dipstick.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

It's actually a Furukawa Model FD40P. Same machine as Hitachi DX40. Everything is in Japanese on the Dozer. Serial number is *****

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Equipment Mechanic to know before I connect you?

What kind of fluid and quantity. Machine is running great.

10/20/2020
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 1 year ago
Dan, Technician

Hi, My name is***** will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here. Professionals are not employees of the site but users of the site and help on here as time allows in between jobs, family,etc. Response time can vary depending on my work load each day but I will always respond back on my next available login. Feel free to respond back at anytime if for any reason we seem to get separated,for status, etc.

First I would like to clarify that the site policy is 1 subject matter per request. You have a problem with the machine turning. Which is your first question. Where is the oil filter is your second question, and your third question is oil type, 4th question is quantity. I will help you with your steering problem which is the main problem have here and do my best to give you a little information of what I am able on the others but you should open up a new request on those since they are separate questions. The first thing you want to do is get into some soft material like sand and see if both tracks will spin with a full blade of dirt. Your steering Clutches should release while the brake holds one side in order to completely turn while the other track powers do the turn. If you have one track that is not turning to power through, it's an indication of faulty steering clutches. Make sure that your linkage is free from any excessive wear. If this all checked out ok, also verify that your brake is holding on one side when trying to complete a turn. If the brake is not holding, it's an indication that you are in need of Steering Clutches and brakes. Your transmission oil should be be at least like a Cat TO2 spec or like a Deere hygard which is a transmission hydraulic multi-purpose oil for wet clutches. The oldest back was likely like a 30 weight transmission oil. Your dipstick should be under the seat near the operators feet if there is no dipstick near the firewall behind the engine. Manuals on this particular model or very scarce so therefore without an operators manual it would be very tough to get fluid quantities.

Reply back with the results of these checks and suggestions if any further help is needed. It is a pleasure to help any way I can.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
When I pull the either steering lever (Left or right) the track does not stop and the machine cuts out. The question was NOT about the oil or oil filter.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Equipment Mechanic to know before I connect you?

As I mentioned in my response if you pull the levers to steer, the brake should hold at the same time there clutch disconnects while the opposite track powers to the turn. If the machine travels forward but will not steer in your linkage is intact, this is the classic symptom of worn out steering clutches and brakes.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The brakes work. All the gears forward and reverse work. I don't understand if the machine stalls out when I pull left lever only or right only why it stalls. Is this indicative of steering clutch problem? Thanks. Sorry of I'm a little dense.

Let me know how you interpret this so i can clear up any confusion.

As I mentioned in my response if you pull the levers to steer, the brake should hold at the same time there clutch disconnects while the opposite track powers to the turn.

Dan, Technician
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks. I get the idea. I just don't understand why the machine stalls out. If I pull only the right lever the machine stalls out. If I pull only the left lever, the machine stalls out. Is that typical behavior with a steering clutch problem? It would seem to me that the dozer would just continue forward and not stall. It's as if pulling pulling one lever locks both tracks but the drive is still engaged so the engine stalls.
If there is either a transmission problem or possible final drive failure or other failure that would put the engine under an extreme load, it would cause a stalling condition. I would start draining oils in your different compartments to see if you find any traces of mechanical failure in any of your components which would confirm the need for disassembly for further inspection for repair or rebuild of any components that have metal.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay. Thanks
You're very welcome.