Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Well I bought a Komatsu backhoe and can't release the

Well I bought a...

Well I bought a Komatsu backhoe and can't release the parking brake to bring it home. I think it is similar to some of the Cat models. Is there a better place to look for info on Komatsu?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Komatsu WB140-2N

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Equipment Mechanic to know before I connect you?

S/N KMTWB001H3A22573

Answered in 3 days by:
10/13/2020
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 1 year ago
Dan, Technician
Hi my name is***** will be glad to try to help you out with this.I would start by testing for power on both sides of each one of your fuses replacing any fuse with power only on one side. Swap your relays one at a time where they known good one for testing purposes. Check your parking brake control to verify that it is functioning properly and free from any damage.thoroughly inspect your wiring and connector pins for any type of corrosion or damage as well. Reply back with the results of these checks if any further help is needed. It's a pleasure to help anyway I can.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Dan, thanks for your suggestions. I have just purchased this backhoe at an auction and had a limited time to get it off the yard. It does have various electrical issues, plus not having a legend for what the switches are for, and the labels are all gone. I assumed that the one warning light that worked on the dash was indicating the parking brake was not releasing. But it meant that the master cylinder was low on fluid. I now have it home and will apply your suggestions to find more problems. Thanks for your.
Thank you for the update. My recommendation for any new machine would be to obtain at the very least the operation manual for your model and serial number machine. You can usually find them either used on websites like eBay in the paper format or in a PDF format doing a search on the web.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Komatsu may be a big company, but their manuals are not as common as others. After purchasing and downloading outdated and partial versions, I have a good shop manual. I found the local dealer/parts source and ordered the correct operator and parts manuals. It will take a few days and I was in a panic to get it off the auction yard. Now that it is at my place I can learn Japanese if I need to
If you have a Japanese specification machine that is considered a gray market machine, it might not be specked out for the United States and usually are sold at a lower price because it's not supposed to be in the United States but for the country it's specified for. Sometimes there's problems matching up the correct parts on Gray market machines.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No, I have a US machine. I was joking that now is part of my many ongoing projects that take forever to finish. But I do have to learn to think the way their manuals are written. I used to work on Deutz equipment, and I have learned that not only are brands different, but countries also.
That is true. Thanks for the clarification.
Dan, Technician