Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Second Opinion. my cat backhoe hydraulic makes a load of…

Second Opinion Customer: hi my cat...
Second Opinion
Customer: hi my cat backhoe hydraulic makes a load of noise when i move the leaversJA: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?Customer: 438C cat backhoeJA: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?Customer: yes open all the lines,i had the back boom down when i put it back on that statedJA: Anything else you want the Construction Mechanic to know before I connect you?Customer: well i had take the back boom down when i put it back it stat makeing noiseDetail Required: HIGH
9/30/2020
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 2 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi, My name is***** will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and follow up with my responses. Professionals are not employees of the site but users of the site and help on here as time allows in between jobs, family,etc. Response time can vary depending on my work load each day but I will always respond back on my next available login. Feel free to respond back at anytime if for any reason we seem to get separated,for status, etc.

The symptoms you are describing leans towards a potential pump problem if you are getting no ways when you put the hydraulics under a load or restriction within the particular circuit or circuits that are causing the noise. Check inside your hydraulic filter and oil for fine metal that looks like glitter in the oil and filter which would confirm a pump or component failure occurring. Remove and inspect your relief valve cartridges for any damaged O-rings or any debris that would cause them to stick and bypass pressure in the main control valve. Inspect your control valve spool for free movement as well as for any scoring or damage that would cause it to stick or malfunction as well. If all of this is clean, have your pressures tested and confirmed whether or not they are within OEM specifications. Check for any leaks or restrictions on the suction side of the pump as well that would cause a starvation of oil to the hydraulic pump . Check for any return restrictions back to tank also . Reply back with the results of these checks of any further help is needed. It's a pleasure to help anyway I can.

Thank you Dan,i through of the relief valae,but waiting to hear you first thanks again i will do so in the morning,i would like to know how mutch for a hydralic pump,it’s a Cat 438C 2000,serial # 7B-J18243 Cat# ***** Arrangement
number(###) ###-#### (###) ###-#### Parts order 9x 6197 i send you this numbers don’t know witch one will work.Thanks in advance.
Check your resolver network as well. Signal Resolver Network - CheckShow/hide tableThere are two resolvers per implement control valve. Primary resolver (1) compares the rod end hydraulic pressure to the hydraulic pressure for the head end of the cylinder. Secondary resolver (2) compares the highest primary signal in the control valve to the highest primary signal in the next control valve. The secondary resolvers are arranged in series and the secondary resolvers lead to the pump compensator valve.A resolver is a shuttle valve that is a double ball check valve. The resolver compares the two pressures. The highest pressure moves the ball. The ball blocks the lower pressure. This higher signal pressure flows to the next resolver in the resolver network.The primary resolvers and the secondary resolvers can be affected by the following items.debris
cut seal
missing seal
bad ball resolver seat
missing resolver ball
Copy and paste this link below into your browser.https://ch-part.com/i.caterpillar/i01063120/
Dan, Technician
Hi Dan morning your service was good i appreciate it very mutch thanks.
Hi, thank you for the feedback. It's a pleasure working with you.