Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

My 580 case backhoe loses Prime to the fuel pump after

Customer Question
My 580 case backhoe...

My 580 case backhoe loses Prime to the fuel pump after running for 10 minutes

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

1980 Something Super K 580 Super K

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

I've drained the tank put a new petcock on new fuel line to fuel pump new fuel filter

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Construction Mechanic to know before I connect you?

No

Mechanic's Assistant: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page to join JustAnswer for only $5 (fully-refundable). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Construction Equipment Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/29/2020
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 2 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hello! Let's see if we can work together and come to a satisfactory conclusion!

Ok

You have a mechanical fuel transfer pump mounted on the block with a priming lever?

I lose prime thereIt will run for 5 minutes then runs out of fuel

If the lines from the tank, to the primer pump are vacuum-tight. The primer pump needs to be replaced.

I just put new line vavle out of tank.

Is there a suction pipe in the tank? Pipe can have hole in it.

Okay thank you I'll check them things out

You can make a test line attached to the inlet of the primer into a fuel container, or back into the tank filler opening, and run test with the tank and lines up to the transfer pump bypassed.